The end of cartography

Author
Roger Harris
Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)
Group: Administrators
The Canadian Hydrographic Service, which is moving to digital collection, processing, dissemination, and delivery of data, has indicated that it may soon eliminate publication of paper charts.

If you believe this is a great idea, or a terrible one, please take a moment to complete the following online survey (nine questions) before the February 17 deadline: Canadian Hydrographic Service Digital Transformation Initiative.

Philip Heaton
Philip Heaton
Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Roger Harris - 9 Feb 2021
The Canadian Hydrographic Service, which is moving to digital collection, processing, dissemination, and delivery of data, has indicated that it may soon eliminate publication of paper charts.

If you believe this is a great idea, or a terrible one, please take a moment to complete the following online survey (nine questions) before the February 17 deadline: Canadian Hydrographic Service Digital Transformation Initiative.

The Royal Institute of Navigation has recently produced a free downloadable pamphlet which highlights the risks and pitfalls of relying solely on digital navigation and although experienced cruisers using electronic navigation will be familiar with much that it covers, nevertheless it is a useful refresher and aide memoire: "Electronic Navigation Systems: Guidance for the safe use on leisure vessels". Free download at https://rin.org.uk/page/ENav
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Philip Heaton - 10 Feb 2021
Roger Harris - 9 Feb 2021

The Royal Institute of Navigation has recently produced a free downloadable pamphlet which highlights the risks and pitfalls of relying solely on digital navigation and although experienced cruisers using electronic navigation will be familiar with much that it covers, nevertheless it is a useful refresher and aide memoire: "Electronic Navigation Systems: Guidance for the safe use on leisure vessels". Free download at https://rin.org.uk/page/ENav

Hi all,
I would probably soften the dramatic by suggesting that this is not the “End of Cartography” but rather observations on the evolution of cartography and requesting not so much as to whether we want the changes to occur, but rather do we want them to occur swiftly or more over time as the direction of change is clear.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Dale Carlton
Dale Carlton
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Paper charts and paper money, live free or die.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
NOAA is eliminating paper charts as well. In fact, they are transitioning entirely from raster to vector. There will still be people printing charts, it's just that the government won't be doing the printing. And those who do print will be printing from up-to-date electronic data files. 

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Philip Heaton
Philip Heaton
Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Will having printed vector charts have any advantages/disadvantages over raster charts?  Vector charts take up much less storage space on an electronic device but given the layering of vector charts, will many more charts need to be printed to get the level of detail that comes with a raster chart? Hm????
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Philip Heaton - 14 Mar 2021
Will having printed vector charts have any advantages/disadvantages over raster charts?  Vector charts take up much less storage space on an electronic device but given the layering of vector charts, will many more charts need to be printed to get the level of detail that comes with a raster chart? Hm????

NOAA is making all vector charts available as downloadable pdfs. I don't know how many layers they merge. 
https://www.boatsnews.com/story/34256/how-about-i-print-out-my-noaa-charts

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
Philip Heaton - 14 Mar 2021

Here is a list of approved distributors for NOAA chart products. 
https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publications/print-agents.html

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search