EDWARD WILLIAM MARINE INSURANCE

Author
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
HI,
Has anyone any experience with EDWARD WILLIAM MARINE INSURANCE ?.
They have given me a very competitive quote and good answers to all my questions.
But I have only heard of them in the last two months and having no personal experience any advice would be good.
Regards
Michael Hartshorn
s/v Nimue.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Michael,
No personal experience with this company but the connection came via Guy Chester so maybe correspond with him?
Simon
martintsmith@aol.com
martintsmith@aol.com
Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)
I am trying to find Insurance for sailing back across the Atlantic from the Caribbean to Europe via Bermuda and the Azores. A well used and known route to insurers you would think but Pantaenius can only offer 3rd party liability. Topsail have quoted me an eye watering price of £2,800.  Edward Williams have quoted £1700, however, looking on the Y B W forum there are some question marks about this company despite it having a prominent advert in the OCC Newsletter.
Any thoughts or information would be most appreciated.
Thanks,

Martin
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
I am trying to find Insurance for sailing back across the Atlantic from the Caribbean to Europe via Bermuda and the Azores. A well used and known route to insurers you would think but Pantaenius can only offer 3rd party liability. Topsail have quoted me an eye watering price of £2,800.  Edward Williams have quoted £1700, however, looking on the Y B W forum there are some question marks about this company despite it having a prominent advert in the OCC Newsletter.
Any thoughts or information would be most appreciated.
Thanks,

Martin

Martin,
I asked the same question after having a quote which was cheaper than my current insurer. The response I received was not good and I was pointed to a number of posts on the net. They seem to give a good quote but on the claims side not so good. If you are a member of the CA there are a number of posts on the web sight.
Regards
Michael
martintsmith@aol.com
martintsmith@aol.com
Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)
Thanks Michael,
It looks like the safest bet is just to stump up more cash!
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Thanks Michael,
It looks like the safest bet is just to stump up more cash!

Hi Martin and all,
I am beginning to think that self-insurance for the boat is the way to go: get liability somewhere and put what you would spend in a year aside for the boat part of insurance and into investments and keep it separate for when bad luck occurs.
Most of us are pleased and proud to have no claims and it is certainly nice to get a check when bad luck happens, but to regularly deal with increased premiums and changing parameters, not to mention just plain dropped service is exasperating. And that is from companies who actually are trying to work in good faith: there are those who do not and they are only apparent when needed.
I think a good case can be made that the boat insurance part of the equation is a rum deal. I would not like to know what the accumulated total of my premiums has been over the decades, especially if invested, even conservatively, during that time.
I would also think there might be an argument to be made that, for recreational boaters, if you can’t afford to lose your boat, you have too much money in a recreation. Similarly, along those lines, it could be argued that having to have boat insurance is a myth perpetrated by insurance companies: house/home insurance for sure, but not boat insurance.
An ancillary benefit of the above might be that insurance companies get the message that they have to give good service at reasonable prices: I doubt it, but they are way too often objectionable in a myriad of creative ways.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Susan.DeSimone
Susan.DeSimone
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Can anyone recommend a broker/company that provides liability only insurance? Full insurance is quite pricey. We will be leaving Vermont, USA and doing a transatlantic this summer so we need someone who will cover that range. Any advice is much appreciated
martintsmith@aol.com
martintsmith@aol.com
Susan.DeSimone - 29 Mar 2022
Can anyone recommend a broker/company that provides liability only insurance? Full insurance is quite pricey. We will be leaving Vermont, USA and doing a transatlantic this summer so we need someone who will cover that range. Any advice is much appreciated

Hi Susan,
After some searching around I have got full insurance for doing a transatlantic with Admiral Insurance.
Nick.Newington
Nick.Newington
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 19 Nov 2021
HI,
They have given me a very competitive quote and good answers to all my questions.
But I have only heard of them in the last two months and having no personal experience any advice would be good.
Regards
Michael Hartshorn
s/v Nimue.

I got a quote  from EWM for my planned voyage from the Med to Chile, so far they are the only quote. The trouble is the small print is unreasonable, massive excess, ridiculous nonsense about anchoring cover. Seams to me that its not really cover at all. My current cover is through TopSail but only as far as the Canaries....I will self insure unless I find something reasonable....
KInd regards

Nick Newington
S/Y Amelia
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thanks Nick not sure if you have seen the July edition of our insurance survey posted on a parallel thread https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic7599.aspx

Simon
Nick.Newington - 17 Jul 2023
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 19 Nov 2021
HI,
Regards
Michael Hartshorn
s/v Nimue.

I got a quote  from EWM for my planned voyage from the Med to Chile, so far they are the only quote. The trouble is the small print is unreasonable, massive excess, ridiculous nonsense about anchoring cover. Seams to me that its not really cover at all. My current cover is through TopSail but only as far as the Canaries....I will self insure unless I find something reasonable....
KInd regards

Nick Newington
S/Y Amelia

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search