Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs)

Author
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I should have said: EPIRB based kit is all well and good but it doesn 't talk to the people most able to find you - your crew. No point in waking up MRCC if there is someone nearby to pick you up. Waste of time for ocean passage making, IMHO.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Here 's another article about the SPOT like devices. There are issues.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/-10824-1.html?s=FB11162012

Vice Commodore, OCC 
jgbailey (Past OCC Member)
jgbailey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
I have frequently sail single handed so the choice for me was the PLB which is attached to my life jacket.

The bad news is that unless the weather is poor or I am on deck at night my life jacket not worn. But that is another story.

I understand from tests done in various magazines that the small AIS systems have a very limited range due to the aerial being so low down in the water. But for a crewed yacht this seems to be the route to go down.

SY Avista

John Bailey
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Here 's the newest tiniest PLB yet. The rescueME PLB1 from Ocean Signal has amazing 7 year battery life and weighs only 4 ounces.

http://www.oceansignal.com/
http://www.oceannavigator.com/Web-Exclusives-2013/Worlds-smallest-PLB/

Can a PLB replace an EPIRB these days?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
jgbailey (Past OCC Member)
jgbailey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
Daria, suggest a PLB be it AIS / EPRIB is an individuals MOB piece of safety equipment. Hence the size etc.

An EPRIB is for the vessel and has many more ways of being stored, launched and activated. The PLB is a way of enhancing your overall safety package and should complement what you have especially if you sail with crew and have AIS on board.

It 's all about budget, the risks you are prepared to accept and the type of sailing you undertake. Husband and wife teams would clearly benefit from AIS PLB during night watch.
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Agree entirely with the last posting. The PLB and EPIRB are complementary not mutually exclusive.

However, a PLB in a MOB situation is useless unless it actuates to warn those still aboard the boat because by the time the signal reaches any rescue athorities you will have died from exposure.

Think about it. With a two man crew if one goes MOB while the other is sleeping below the sleeping partner will never know until too late unless the PLB can actuate a strong audible signal on board.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
Couldn 't agree more, John. That 's why our first rule of sailing for all newbies onboard is... #1 STAY ON THE BOAT.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
You 're right. I have always reckoned that if I went overboard when Alex was asleep, there is no way he could wake up, get topsides, and turn Aleria around in time to save me. Same for him. Perhaps the AIS PLB is an answer. But I 'd rather not find out. Short tether is the #1 defense.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search