Anti foul system for Aluminium boat

Author
E
Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)Gaining Respect (127 reputation)
Group: Administrators
(This is a thread copied from the OCC Members Facebook Group)

I have an Aluminium boat and I’m looking to find an eco friendly anti foul system. I’ve previously used traditional leaching antifoul of Corsa and Trilux neither have been successful and both are ridiculously expensive.
I’m considering a product called Finsulate and was wondering if anybody has any experience of it. It’s a stick on film that is supposed to mimic the surface of a sea urchin. Nothing to leach into the environment and a warrantied life of 5 years with 10 years practical life claimed. Theoretically it sounds just what I want but the gap been theory and practice is often large.
https://www.finsulate.com/en/https://www.finsulate.com/en/
Any feedback gratefully received.
Thanks

REPLIES
o  Perhaps look into Inversalu / Metagrip. Not sure if it can be painted onto epoxy though. It can be painted on its own directly onto aluminium and also functions as an anode. Inquire from META, they're very helpful
o    We also have an aluminium boat. Our aluminium resists corrosion by sea-water only if there is oxygen in the water. If sea-water is trapped between bolted on equipment and the hull, corrosion is often serious. I would worry that the finsulate could cause same issue
o    We have an Ally boat (Allures 45) and have always used Trilux which seems hit and miss. Sometimes it works really well, the next time not so we'll. I have been looking for an alternative for some time now as I, like most sailors, have a problem with using toxic substances in the ocean. I too would be interested in opinions on this or any other alternative product.
o    We use EU45 antifouling with a special mix of copper thiocyanate for our aluminium boat. No complaints. http://www.eu45antifoul.com (EU45 antifoul - High Strength Antifouling Paint For Boats and Yachts | marine antifoul, anfouling paint)
    Says it can be applied to wood, steel, plastic or Ferro cement on the link. No mention of Aluminium.
    Usually one is applying the paint to an epoxy barrier coat, not directly on aluminum. Copper thiocyanate is deemed safe in this regard for use on underwater aluminum.
    Except!! The EU45 website says it contains Coper Oxide 45%, which is very different. Caveat Emptor. I have never found an antifouling that des not require regular cleaning, i.e. scraping and brushing. Have used Pettit Vivid on my 13.5m alloy sloop for 5 years-will have to try Trilux next season as we in Scotland and Pettit not available.
    As I said, we've always used it, never a problem, sometimes works better than others, but no complaints other than it's nasty stuff like most anti foul.
    hi Russ I believe that is for the standard antifouling. Talk to Bill at EU45
    I certainly will. We are in Pacific Mexico and looking to get hauled in the New Year in La Paz for the pre Pacific fettle and spit and polish, so may well take the plunge then.
o    Talk to Phil Heaton. He used a barrier coat and ordinary antifoul, I believe.
o    Since I have tried Selektop I would say that’s the best so far. Got a prototyp paint with Selektop(0,1%). Stayed 11 men month in Camaret sur Mer( Brest) about 300m from a oyserbank. Not one barnacle. Alot of green but no barnacles. Sadley the paint was to soft so when scrubbing the hull it peeld off. Now I have a Silicon/epoxi paint with Selektop will see how it works. Read more about selektop at www.selektop.se
o    Hi - we have used a variety of products and ultimately the benefits of an alu boat outweigh the antifouling problem. We have used Trilux a lot over the last 15 years - as others have said, it's hit and miss. In the Caribbean, much to our shame we used a product that was banned in the USA. We are next due a shot blast hull strip and the options are Jotun Non-stop or a Hempel product. We only learned about the Hempel product after buying the Jotun so we will go with the Jotun next year and try the Hempel after that. We have looked at Finsulate and given that OVNIs are not renowned for boat speed plus the hull/keel/rudder configuration is somewhat agricultural we will pass on that for now. There is also the acoustic option which does not have great user feedback. Ultimately a couple of scuba tanks and a bit of patience on a regular basis will do the trick.
    We had very good results with Jotun non-stop in Norway. When we hauled out in St Lucia due to a propellor issue, (a couple of years later with another antifouling on the hull) we had a little growth, and a scheduled haul out for the season in two months, so we slapped a coat of Jotun non-stop on because we had a spare gallon. It was a disaster. In 2 months we had a rash of thin barnacles that were VERY hard to remove
o    We used ePaints SN for years, as used by US Coast Guard. It is non-metallic and works by an optical process to generate hydrogen peroxide so best to choose the light colours. We used it successfully in Caribbean, US east coast, Nova Scotia and European…
    We also used Epaint for all the time we were in US waters. Worked great

Spike.Braunius
Spike.Braunius
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Emily.Winter - 19 Jul 2021

I have an Aluminium boat and I’m looking to find an eco friendly anti foul system. I’ve previously used traditional leaching antifoul of Corsa and Trilux neither have been successful and both are ridiculously expensive.
I’m considering a product called Finsulate and was wondering if anybody has any experience of it. It’s a stick on film that is supposed to mimic the surface of a sea urchin. Nothing to leach into the environment and a warrantied life of 5 years with 10 years practical life claimed. Theoretically it sounds just what I want but the gap been theory and practice is often large.
Thanks

REPLIES
o  Perhaps look into Inversalu / Metagrip. Not sure if it can be painted onto epoxy though. It can be painted on its own directly onto aluminium and also functions as an anode. Inquire from META, they're very helpful
o    We also have an aluminium boat. Our aluminium resists corrosion by sea-water only if there is oxygen in the water. If sea-water is trapped between bolted on equipment and the hull, corrosion is often serious. I would worry that the finsulate could cause same issue
o    We have an Ally boat (Allures 45) and have always used Trilux which seems hit and miss. Sometimes it works really well, the next time not so we'll. I have been looking for an alternative for some time now as I, like most sailors, have a problem with using toxic substances in the ocean. I too would be interested in opinions on this or any other alternative product.
o    We use EU45 antifouling with a special mix of copper thiocyanate for our aluminium boat. No complaints. http://www.eu45antifoul.com (EU45 antifoul - High Strength Antifouling Paint For Boats and Yachts | marine antifoul, anfouling paint)
    Says it can be applied to wood, steel, plastic or Ferro cement on the link. No mention of Aluminium.
    Usually one is applying the paint to an epoxy barrier coat, not directly on aluminum. Copper thiocyanate is deemed safe in this regard for use on underwater aluminum.
    Except!! The EU45 website says it contains Coper Oxide 45%, which is very different. Caveat Emptor. I have never found an antifouling that des not require regular cleaning, i.e. scraping and brushing. Have used Pettit Vivid on my 13.5m alloy sloop for 5 years-will have to try Trilux next season as we in Scotland and Pettit not available.
    As I said, we've always used it, never a problem, sometimes works better than others, but no complaints other than it's nasty stuff like most anti foul.
    hi Russ I believe that is for the standard antifouling. Talk to Bill at EU45
    I certainly will. We are in Pacific Mexico and looking to get hauled in the New Year in La Paz for the pre Pacific fettle and spit and polish, so may well take the plunge then.
o    Talk to Phil Heaton. He used a barrier coat and ordinary antifoul, I believe.
o    Since I have tried Selektop I would say that’s the best so far. Got a prototyp paint with Selektop(0,1%). Stayed 11 men month in Camaret sur Mer( Brest) about 300m from a oyserbank. Not one barnacle. Alot of green but no barnacles. Sadley the paint was to soft so when scrubbing the hull it peeld off. Now I have a Silicon/epoxi paint with Selektop will see how it works. Read more about selektop at www.selektop.se
o    Hi - we have used a variety of products and ultimately the benefits of an alu boat outweigh the antifouling problem. We have used Trilux a lot over the last 15 years - as others have said, it's hit and miss. In the Caribbean, much to our shame we used a product that was banned in the USA. We are next due a shot blast hull strip and the options are Jotun Non-stop or a Hempel product. We only learned about the Hempel product after buying the Jotun so we will go with the Jotun next year and try the Hempel after that. We have looked at Finsulate and given that OVNIs are not renowned for boat speed plus the hull/keel/rudder configuration is somewhat agricultural we will pass on that for now. There is also the acoustic option which does not have great user feedback. Ultimately a couple of scuba tanks and a bit of patience on a regular basis will do the trick.
    We had very good results with Jotun non-stop in Norway. When we hauled out in St Lucia due to a propellor issue, (a couple of years later with another antifouling on the hull) we had a little growth, and a scheduled haul out for the season in two months, so we slapped a coat of Jotun non-stop on because we had a spare gallon. It was a disaster. In 2 months we had a rash of thin barnacles that were VERY hard to remove
o    We used ePaints SN for years, as used by US Coast Guard. It is non-metallic and works by an optical process to generate hydrogen peroxide so best to choose the light colours. We used it successfully in Caribbean, US east coast, Nova Scotia and European…

Peter.Basilides
Peter.Basilides
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Emily.Winter - 19 Jul 2021

Thanks

REPLIES

Peter.Basilides
Peter.Basilides
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
I just had a 88ft yacht next to me. They were very happy with a similar product, MacGlide. A silicone film applied after epoxy primer. Warranty for five years. At speed of 7 kn any growth is washed of. Other than that you can easily wipe it off...cost about 150€/sq.m
These guys were very happy and convinced. I just ordered a quote fir the product myself. I think it could be a good thing. No more lifting for a few years...

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search