EWincher field report

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
EWincher field report
Those who are interested in easing their winch use, thinking about electric winches and/or those interested in “geriatrifying” their boat might consider an Ewincher. It is not in-expensive, but is far less expensive than electric winches after looking at both purchase and installation costs and the possible/probable need to increase battery service. Right angle drills of old with a “winch” bit were whimpy, the battery died quickly and were not water-proof nor did they like salt water. More modern higher voltage rt angle drills w/ lithium may have solved some of those concerns.
On Alchemy we have a somewhat awkward to launch (or retrieve) hard shell nesting dinghy. Ginger handles the winch and I keep the dinghy from swinging about hitting things. The EWincher has made this job far easier and easier/safer to control the dinghy.
I hoist the main at the mast till the last foot or so. The EWincher makes getting that last foot or so much easier. Same with setting reefs
It is probable that most use it a lot for their headsail. I have used it for jib topsail pulling in but often just do it by hand. Were I doing a lot of tacking, I would use the EWincher more, especially in higher winds.
We have never run out of power. The US company replaced a charger without any problem and doing the paperwork necessary to get it to Canada. It is reversable and, as you hold it in place, you have immediate feedback as to the tension being asked for and are therefore less likely to do damage or over-tighten a sheet or halyard (unlike electric winches). You are also less likely to get a finger or hand caught between the winch and line as has happened with electric winches. It also turns any winch into an electric winch.
And lastly, it can be used as a manual winch handle, although it is bulkier and heavier.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dick
Our WinchRite is pretty good too. We have encountered no issues with it though it’s possibly more expensive it does much the same job.
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Simon Currin - 24 Aug 2022
Dick
Our WinchRite is pretty good too. We have encountered no issues with it though it’s possibly more expensive it does much the same job.
Simon

Hi Simon,
Good info, thanks. It is good to have options.
Can you fill in some blanks?
Is your unit based on a battery-operated right-angle drill? If so, what manufacturer and what voltage?
If a rt angle drill base, does it have a handle (like a regular manual winch handle)? (I ask that as even though electric, the torque being asked for must be resisted and holding a powerful drill is often a challenge without a handle.)
Is it water proof? Resistant?
Can you use it manually as a winch handle?
Can it take a 180 pounder/80 kg person up the mast?
Thanks, Dick

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Dick
Here is a link to one of the stores that sell WinchRite in Europe.
https://www.svb24.com/en/winchrite-winchrite-abt-motorized-winch-handle.html

We have had one for about 10 years and charge it off our inverter but I see there is now a 12 volt charging option. It’s waterproof, has 2 speeds and Sally uses to easily winch me to the top of our 23m mast whilst tailing the mast winch with her other hand. It could be used as an unpowered winch handle but would not be as efficient as an ordinary winch handle. It sits in a charging cradle below deck when not on use.

Simon
Dick
Dick
Simon Currin - 25 Aug 2022
Dick
Here is a link to one of the stores that sell WinchRite in Europe.
https://www.svb24.com/en/winchrite-winchrite-abt-motorized-winch-handle.html

We have had one for about 10 years and charge it off our inverter but I see there is now a 12 volt charging option. It’s waterproof, has 2 speeds and Sally uses to easily winch me to the top of our 23m mast whilst tailing the mast winch with her other hand. It could be used as an unpowered winch handle but would not be as efficient as an ordinary winch handle. It sits in a charging cradle below deck when not on use.

Simon
Hi Simon,
Sounds like it checks the boxes.
Thanks, Dick

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
A caution about eWinchers and other such devices on which some of us depend. The Lithium Ion battery in our Winchrite failed (without notice) after 10 years. Sourcing a replacement proved expensive given the cost of freighting lithium batteries around the world.

Simon
Dick - 21 Aug 2022
EWincher field report
Those who are interested in easing their winch use, thinking about electric winches and/or those interested in “geriatrifying” their boat might consider an Ewincher. It is not in-expensive, but is far less expensive than electric winches after looking at both purchase and installation costs and the possible/probable need to increase battery service. Right angle drills of old with a “winch” bit were whimpy, the battery died quickly and were not water-proof nor did they like salt water. More modern higher voltage rt angle drills w/ lithium may have solved some of those concerns.
On Alchemy we have a somewhat awkward to launch (or retrieve) hard shell nesting dinghy. Ginger handles the winch and I keep the dinghy from swinging about hitting things. The EWincher has made this job far easier and easier/safer to control the dinghy.
I hoist the main at the mast till the last foot or so. The EWincher makes getting that last foot or so much easier. Same with setting reefs
It is probable that most use it a lot for their headsail. I have used it for jib topsail pulling in but often just do it by hand. Were I doing a lot of tacking, I would use the EWincher more, especially in higher winds.
We have never run out of power. The US company replaced a charger without any problem and doing the paperwork necessary to get it to Canada. It is reversable and, as you hold it in place, you have immediate feedback as to the tension being asked for and are therefore less likely to do damage or over-tighten a sheet or halyard (unlike electric winches). You are also less likely to get a finger or hand caught between the winch and line as has happened with electric winches. It also turns any winch into an electric winch.
And lastly, it can be used as a manual winch handle, although it is bulkier and heavier.

Dick
Dick
Simon Currin - 8 Jan 2024
A caution about eWinchers and other such devices on which some of us depend. The Lithium Ion battery in our Winchrite failed (without notice) after 10 years. Sourcing a replacement proved expensive given the cost of freighting lithium batteries around the world.

Simon
Dick - 21 Aug 2022
EWincher field report

Hi Simon,
Reminds me of sailing a Torqeedo battery to Iceland for you. And, yes, I believe it is a characteristic of Lithium that they die without the warning that LA batteries give where they gradually give up the ghost. Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search