OCC Brand & Style Manual?

Author
John Morfit
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was trying to identify an OCC flag being flown on a vessel (like a burgee, but rectangular). I found it via Google on crwflags.com, identified as a “House Flag”, whatever that is. A note by Daria Blackwell states that the OCC Brand Manual and Style Guidelines is on the website, available to club officers and port officers. Apparently there isn’t any place that shows the various flags and burgees used by the OCC on our website for all members (or I’ve missed it). The search feature does not find anything. Can we add a page to show and explain our own insignia, available for all members?
Tags
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)
Group: Administrators
John,
It sits in a ‘resources’ part of the member’s website which requires you to log on. Though the logon details for theForum are the same the members part of the website sits on a separate sub-domain for security reasons so you will need to log on if you follow the link below.

https://members.oceancruisingclub.org/members/Resources

Simon

John Morfit - 19 Sep 2022
I was trying to identify an OCC flag being flown on a vessel (like a burgee, but rectangular). I found it via Google on crwflags.com, identified as a “House Flag”, whatever that is. A note by Daria Blackwell states that the OCC Brand Manual and Style Guidelines is on the website, available to club officers and port officers. Apparently there isn’t any place that shows the various flags and burgees used by the OCC on our website for all members (or I’ve missed it). The search feature does not find anything. Can we add a page to show and explain our own insignia, available for all members?

John Morfit
John Morfit
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
I *thought* I had seen it somewhere! Could we add search terms for the resource files? E.g. “burgee”, “flag”, “ensign”, “insignia”, “brand”, “style”, “guidelines” and “manual” for this document would be useful.

The second question I have is about the house flag. I see two common definitions - a flag you use on your house (could be any type of flag at all), and “Merchant ships often fly a flag identifying which company owns the vessel. This was formerly flown from the mainmast but is now usually flown from the jackstaff.” Neither seems correct for flying the house flag from a private vessel.

Thankyou!
John
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)
I *thought* I had seen it somewhere! Could we add search terms for the resource files? E.g. “burgee”, “flag”, “ensign”, “insignia”, “brand”, “style”, “guidelines” and “manual” for this document would be useful. The second question I have is about the house flag. I see two common definitions - a flag you use on your house (could be any type of flag at all), and “Merchant ships often fly a flag identifying which company owns the vessel. This was formerly flown from the mainmast but is now usually flown from the jackstaff.” Neither seems correct for flying the house flag from a private vessel.Thankyou!John

John,
I'm definitely no expert on flag etiquette but I know others seem to take it very seriously and there have been a few prior discussions. One Forum link that came up on my search is below. https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic1587-2.aspx. In addition, George Curtis also wrote the definitive article in Flying Fish 2005-1 entitled 'Flag Etiquette'.

As far as I am concerned flags, burgees and even vinyl bumper stickers on the boom are there to attract the attention of fellow members and so it doesn't much matter where they are flown or when. I do realise that this comment may be construed as heresy and I do hope George Curtis doesn't read this!

Simon
John Morfit
John Morfit
Yes, I’m not the flag police either. But I kinda wonder, did I miss the memo or something?
Agreed, no matter the shape, it’s usefulness is as a signal to other members, or to prospective members (everyone else on a boat).
John Morfit
John Morfit
Oops, broken link to Flying Fish 2005-1, George Curtis article:
BlobNotFoundThe specified blob does not exist. RequestId:c9da3ade-401e-00c7-3477-cc29ce000000 Time:2022-09-19T22:31:17.1012963Z

Most of the links on the FF 2005-1 are broken.

Regards,
John
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Oops, broken link to Flying Fish 2005-1, George Curtis article:
BlobNotFoundThe specified blob does not exist. RequestId:c9da3ade-401e-00c7-3477-cc29ce000000 Time:2022-09-19T22:31:17.1012963Z

Most of the links on the FF 2005-1 are broken.

Regards,
John

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Yes John, I’ve reported the broken link and requested the search you mention.

Thanks for you input and maybe see you in Florida later in the year?
Simon
John Morfit
John Morfit
Maybe, as we head to Bahamas/Caribbean!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search