Electric tender weight versus power

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
LIGHT WEIGHT OFFSHORE ELECTRIC TENDER POWER 3hp versus 8hp

Hello Team OCC,

As I’m only 5’ 3” tall, I struggle to lift anything onboard safely that’s over 15kg, but I must consider the purchase of a light weight electric outboard for my small <2.9m Mercury RIB.

My two current favourites are;

1) The French TEMO 1000 3hp equivalent

(e.g. only 1000w power, but easiest to handle with 15kg weight including battery, has options for spare batteries, has a retractable tiller handle and an especially used adjustable shaft length)

https://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/gear-reviews/first-look-temo-1000-electric-outboard

PLUS alternatively I could also safely use;

2) The French HY-generation 8hp equivalent

(e.g. lighter at 14kg, with 6000w power, but even more expensive)

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/new-electric-outboard-motors-ditch-the-props-for-greater-efficiency-70269

Bearing in mind I’m managing my tight budget, while planning an Atlantic crossing followed by a circumnavigation…

…please would you share your opinion on the power of tender necessary and if the extra power is worth the extra expense?

Grateful for your help and consideration,

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 2 Nov 2022

Hello Team OCC,

As I’m only 5’ 3” tall, I struggle to lift anything onboard safely that’s over 15kg, but I must consider the purchase of a light weight electric outboard for my small <2.9m Mercury RIB.

(e.g. only 1000w power, but easiest to handle with 15kg weight including battery, has options for spare batteries, has a retractable tiller handle and an especially used adjustable shaft length)

https://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/gear-reviews/first-look-temo-1000-electric-outboard

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/new-electric-outboard-motors-ditch-the-props-for-greater-efficiency-70269

Bearing in mind I’m managing my tight budget, while planning an Atlantic crossing followed by a circumnavigation…

…please would you share your opinion on the power of tender necessary and if the extra power is worth the extra expense?

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
I used a hoist for various sized gas-powered outboards for years: it was a pain, but it worked.
I appreciate the Torqeedo for the ability to handle it easily by hand without a hoist. It is lighter, but doing so is made even easier by the awkward part (the length of the outboard with its prop and fitting for the battery) being lightened considerably (perhaps by ½) by the removable battery which I put on after the long part is fixed, the shaft, is fixed to the stern and secure.
I am unfamiliar with the unit you are thinking of buying but separating the pieces is something that I would suggest looking into.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Dick - 2 Nov 2022
Sonia Johal - 2 Nov 2022

Hello Team OCC,

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
I used a hoist for various sized gas-powered outboards for years: it was a pain, but it worked.
I appreciate the Torqeedo for the ability to handle it easily by hand without a hoist. It is lighter, but doing so is made even easier by the awkward part (the length of the outboard with its prop and fitting for the battery) being lightened considerably (perhaps by ½) by the removable battery which I put on after the long part is fixed, the shaft, is fixed to the stern and secure.
I am unfamiliar with the unit you are thinking of buying but separating the pieces is something that I would suggest looking into.

Hi Sonia,
Some further considerations:
Electric outboards are not infallible: I have had good luck with mine but I know others have had issues. A 3hp gas powered outboard can get serviced and repaired most anywhere in the world. Not nearly the case for electric outboards and the batteries are a challenge to ship (I carried one to Iceland for a friend when we sailed there.)
I mention this as, an inflatable without an outboard, can be a safety issue. I had a medium sizes Caribe RIB for ~~15 years and loved it. I carried 2 outboards for much of that period so if one was wonky, I had a spare.
It was later, with only one outboard, that I fully appreciated how stranded one could become with an inflatable and no propulsion except the oars that come with the boat. I could get upwind in 12kn and commensurate chop, but it was a lot of work. In 15kn & chop it was almost impossible, especially with an impossible to start outboard on the stern.
I would test what you can accomplish with your inflatable and include the weight of an outboard and a passenger if have a partner. BTW, it was no real help for my wife and I to use the oars as paddles, except I am sure we entertained the anchorage looking like the Keystone Kops (if you are of a certain generation).
Being stranded on the boat is no big deal: returning to your dinghy and being stranded on shore, especially in a rising wind situation, is a big deal.

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thanks Dick,

Agreed and I appreciate your kind response. In terms of the outboard, it’s the weight is the real issue for me, especially when navigating more challenging waters…

To clarify, my reason for going for the lighter electric options is that I have already failed to safely lift even 3hp petrol outboards. Plus, sailing further afield, I need the extra power for worst case contingency, to enable me to walk my dogs ashore.

For example, despite owning a relatively light 2 stroke 3hp petrol outboard, currently I always end up rowing instead!

Grateful for your help and kind consideration.

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sonia
Like Dick we use an electric Torqeedo (3hp equivalent) and never use the petrol 9.8hp we have on our pulpit. The Torqeedo dismantles easily and can be transferred easily by my wife whose stature is similar to yours. I doubt we will ever go back to petrol powered motors. They are much nicer to use and, despite reports to the contrary, we have found our’s to be reliable over the last 10 years.
Simon
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Thanks Again Simon,

If you feel 3hp to be sufficient, that will also save me lots of my budget! I understand the 17kg Torqueedo Travel has a more established reputation, and in addition I consider the newer 3hp options;

1) The 15kg TEMO 1000 3hp equivalent with adaptive shaft length, including battery

https://www.yachtingworld.com/...

2) The 12kg RemigoOne 1000w 3hp equivalent

The 12kg is obviously most appealing. So I would be grateful for OCC opinions and recommendations.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators

Sonia
Our Torqeedo won’t make our aluminium rib plane but we can comfortably go several miles on one battery at displacement speeds.

We have two batteries for longer journeys but I note that the modern equivalent of our motor is twice the capacity. If you don’t want to go roaring around on the plane then electric will work for you.

I suspect the Torqeedo’s quoted 17kg is the all up weight but it is always disassembled in seconds prior to transferring from our tender and I estimate the weight of the shaft to be around 10kg.
Simon
adrianbiggs
adrianbiggs
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Most cruisers in the  Caribbean use petrol outboards rated at at least 4 hp because one is relying on it in open anchorages in the ocean and fresh  winds. Therefore it is advisable to check that the electric outboard has power equivalent to 4 hp or more. #
If getting the weight of the outboard into the tender is an issue, then fit a hoist
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Thanks Adrian Briggs,

I appreciate your input, but as my boat has 1kwh solar power with a 3000w inverter supplying 240v power for quick charging, I will stick to my electric outboard plan.

However, I do agree it’s easier to maintain a petrol outboard. As such. I choose to eliminate the added weight and hoist options, as a safety contingency.

So, I currently pursue the 3hp electric option for my small RIB and will row when ever necessary.

As such, I conclude that as my boat already has excess charging capacity, I will be investing in a global brand 3hp Torqueedo or the currently most recommended 3hp ePropulsion outboard, which includes hydrogeneration.

Many thanks for all of the OCC guidance received

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search