Kevlar Tape for hull insulation and reinforcement for potential log or container impacts

Kevlar Tape for hull insulation and reinforcement for potential log or...
Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
BENEFITS OF USING KEVLAR TAPE INSIDE BOAT HULL…

Hello Team OCC,

Currently preparing my boat before starting my long journey aboard, I write to ask you to please share your experiences and opinions with regards to the potential benefits of using onboard Kevlar tape for;

a) hull insulation

b) hull reinforcement against impacts with potential floating objects such as containers or logs

c) potential damage from playful orca dolphins

Grateful for your input and guidance.

Fair Winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
My hull reinforcement against impacts with floating objects research is resulting in mixed views and this is the best article so far…

This Yachting Monthly article describes hull reinforcements such as Basalt fibre, Flax and carbon fibre others…

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/boat-building-what-will-yachts-be-made-of-in-the-future-82953
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 30 Nov 2022
My hull reinforcement against impacts with floating objects research is resulting in mixed views and this is the best article so far…This Yachting Monthly article describes hull reinforcements such as Basalt fibre, Flax and carbon fibre others…https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/boat-building-what-will-yachts-be-made-of-in-the-future-82953

Hi Sonia,
Please explain how you would use this tape for the purposes mentioned. Dick
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)
Dick - 30 Nov 2022
Sonia Johal - 30 Nov 2022
My hull reinforcement against impacts with floating objects research is resulting in mixed views and this is the best article so far…This Yachting Monthly article describes hull reinforcements such as Basalt fibre, Flax and carbon fibre others…https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/boat-building-what-will-yachts-be-made-of-in-the-future-82953

Hi Sonia,
Please explain how you would use this tape for the purposes mentioned. Dick

Hi Sonia and all,
I believe there is little to do to ensure hull integrity for a fiberglass hull, aside from being a well-engineered and well-built boat, in the face of a container or running up on rocks or coral. For those encounters, a metal boat beats all.
I thought I might share what I did to Alchemy. She is well built and quite robust, so I probably would not have done this if I was not doing bottom work already.
From just above the waterline to the lead keel along the leading edge of the hull, I added 3 layers of carbon fiber. The layers wrapped around the leading edge and went back 6, 8, and 10 inches.
I do not really have a clue as to how much difference it would make in a collision, but it made me feel better, especially when in Greenland with ice around. Basically, I had the opportunity to do this, so I took it. But I am not necessarily recommending: just reporting.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search