Columbia to Trinidad and Tobago

Author
Charles.Lenhoff
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Friends,
We're looking into the plausibility of cruising on our motor yacht from Columbia to Trinidad and Tobago. Our two major concerns are pirates and security off the coast of Venezuela, and the head on pounding of wind and waves traveling west to east. Is there member who has done this route and can share their adventure?
~Charles
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Charles.Lenhoff - 1 Jan 2023
Friends,
We're looking into the plausibility of cruising on our motor yacht from Columbia to Trinidad and Tobago. Our two major concerns are pirates and security off the coast of Venezuela, and the head on pounding of wind and waves traveling west to east. Is there member who has done this route and can share their adventure?
~Charles

Hi Charles,
Not sure where your eventual destination is or your cruising plans, but the trip east sounds hateful and that is without the possibility of pirates. And, unless you are the quite adventurous type, there is limited opportunity for safe, comfortable and leisurely cruising until you get to T&T.
I would suggest considering, if looking for great cruising in interesting areas going N to Honduras (the Bay Islands) and (perhaps) Guatemala (the Rio Dulce), then Belize and on to Mexico and then around to Cuba. Lots of possibilities from there.
This route would have you with the wind and seas generally on the beam and in predictable countries that welcome cruisers and in wonderful cruising grounds: to me, far more interesting than the eastern Carib with all its boats, tourists, etc. Belize and Honduras have superb Maya ruins that rival anything seen in Egypt for spectacular-ness, atolls for diving. Belize has jungle and all have interesting history.
You would also start to pick up the Gulf Stream which helps as you go N and get around the corner above Cuba.
Write if you have questions and want more information on this route.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Charles.Lenhoff
Charles.Lenhoff
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Dick,
Thank you for your reply.  I agree with your assessment. Our present cruising plans are to transit the Panama Canal tomorrow from the Pacific to the Caribbean, then head north to Bocos Del Toro for a few months, then head south to San Blas for a few months, then head to Columbia for several months. From Santa Marta, Columbia we have a few challenging options...

Ultimately, providing we remain in good health, our yacht remains in excellent working condition, and there is not a World War, we'd like cross the Atlantic into Europe.

Anyhoo, going from Columbia to Trinidad and Tobago is probable a bad idea, but I was curious if some of the more experienced and adventurous OCC Mariners have done it...

~c
Kingsley Ross
Kingsley Ross
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Another alternative to Dick's suggestion is to run N - NE from Columbia through the Florida Straights perhaps stopping at Jamaca and then continue on as you wish. I've done the east west run from Trindad to Columbia and definitely would not recommend the reverse even if pirates were not an issue. 
Based on the experience of a boat we know that just went from Panama to the Rio Dulce pirates are also issue off Nicaragua and boats are being advised to stay well offshore. I'd be happy to put you touch if you'd like.

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Kingsley Ross - 1 Jan 2023
Another alternative to Dick's suggestion is to run N - NE from Columbia through the Florida Straights perhaps stopping at Jamaca and then continue on as you wish. I've done the east west run from Trindad to Columbia and definitely would not recommend the reverse even if pirates were not an issue. 
Based on the experience of a boat we know that just went from Panama to the Rio Dulce pirates are also issue off Nicaragua and boats are being advised to stay well offshore. I'd be happy to put you touch if you'd like.

Hi Charles & King,
Yes, another alternative.
If memory serves, there are islands well off the coast of Nicaragua, St. Andres and Providencia, which can provide a stopping over place if staying to the west that keeps a boat well offshore. One should research this as my knowledge is ~~15+ years old.
My best, Dick

Kingsley Ross
Kingsley Ross
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)

Kingsley Ross
Kingsley Ross

I should have said Windward Passage not Florida Straits.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Charles
We will be in Bocos del Toro from mid March so hope to see you there. We will be leaving our boat at the Red Frog Marina for the European summer.
Simon
Charles.Lenhoff
Charles.Lenhoff
Simon Currin - 5 Jan 2023
CharlesWe will be in Bocos del Toro from mid March so hope to see you there. We will be leaving our boat at the Red Frog Marina for the European summer.Simon

Simon, it is plausible that we will still be in Bocas and would/will look forward to meeting up with you.  Red Frog is nice but we prefer Marina Bocas Del Toro.  ~C 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search