OCC Forums

Shelter Bay Marina

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic3932.aspx

By rachelle.turk - 10 Jun 2017

I was last here in 2008 with the first World ARC. Then it had 2 walkways, but good facilities.
Now it has 5 walkways and still has good, if not better, facilities, including new washing machines.
On my way in there was someone tracking me on AIS, fortunately. I was quickly told to head for the small green navigation buoy that I hadn't seen! Then I was allocated a berth to suit my electrical plug on the shore power, a simple but excellent service and much appreciated. There is 110 and 230 volt available and it is all 60 Hz only.
I was met at the dock by 2 helpers and efficiently secured and plugged in. There is no charge for water or electricity that I could see. As I'm on E dock the marina charge is $1.10 per foot length per day, so reasonable. There is also a free minibus service to Colon twice a day. Internet is $10 per week for unlimited use, not the best internet but OK.
Check in with the office is quick and easy, only 3 forms, one of which is of course signing any rights you may have away. No cost either.
There is an on site chandlery, tiny, a grocery shop, small and a gym and a swimming pool. Also there is a reasonable restaurant and small hotel in the same building as the office, as well as a crew room with book swap.
All in all not a bad place to wait for your transit.

Hugh Pilsworth,
BlueFlyer.