OCC Forums

Water maker versus Desalination unit

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic7358.aspx

By Sonia.Johal - 22 Dec 2022

Hello Team OCC,

I have found a cost effective “Desalination unit” versus the usually recommended but expensive “Onboard Water Makers” costing thousands…

So I ask for your views and opinions with regards to this “Quench Sea” desalination unit for £111;

The weblink is…. https://www.quenchsea.world/

Wishing you all a super Christmas with fair winds throughout 2023.

Sonia
SY Salacia
By Dick - 22 Dec 2022

Sonia Johal - 22 Dec 2022
Hello Team OCC,

I have found a cost effective “Desalination unit” versus the usually recommended but expensive “Onboard Water Makers” costing thousands…

So I ask for your views and opinions with regards to this “Quench Sea” desalination unit for £111;

The weblink is…. https://www.quenchsea.world/

Wishing you all a super Christmas with fair winds throughout 2023.

Sonia
SY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
My rule of thumb for “mission critical” gear for widely wandering vessels is that there be a decent number of units built (certainly many hundreds) and used over a good period of time (5 years, better 10) with many independent field reports by experienced users.
The technology is there for a unit of that size and shape, but the price is way out of line with comparable units (Katadyne Survivor 06 for ex. looks very similar: except for the price). I have used Katadyne products for ~~2 decades and find them well built and reliable.
Now there may be breakthroughs I am unaware of making the price point of the QuenchSea workable, but I would be wary of their just using materials that are just less expensive and less robust
And is your intention just for a reasonably priced back-up for already carrying an adequate supply of water (not mission critical) or is to be used regularly for drinking water on a vessel unable (or unwilling for weight reasons) to carry enough water (mission critical) or to put in a Grab Bag for an abandon ship situation (again mission critical).
Another thing to be aware of: hand-operated watermakers take a lot of work for a modest amount of water: one is well motivated in a liferaft hoping for rescue. Not so much fun on a regular basis.
Let us know more about this piece of gear as you gather information. If as good as advertised, then it could be a valuable addition to many widely wandering vessels.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

By Sonia.Johal - 22 Dec 2022

Thanks Dick,

To answer your question, my boat has a 160litre fresh water tank and I always have fresh bottled water sufficient for offshore liferaft purposes.

So, this desalination unit is for a back up and to rinse washed clothes.

I believe the QuenchSea works by reverse osmosis using hand pumping to deliver up to 6 litres of fresh water for every hours pumping. This device is also recommended as a fresh water source by the World Healthcare Organisation for countries facing droughts or with insufficient plumbing