Water maker versus Desalination unit

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Team OCC,

I have found a cost effective “Desalination unit” versus the usually recommended but expensive “Onboard Water Makers” costing thousands…

So I ask for your views and opinions with regards to this “Quench Sea” desalination unit for £111;

The weblink is…. https://www.quenchsea.world/

Wishing you all a super Christmas with fair winds throughout 2023.

Sonia
SY Salacia

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 22 Dec 2022
Hello Team OCC,

I have found a cost effective “Desalination unit” versus the usually recommended but expensive “Onboard Water Makers” costing thousands…

So I ask for your views and opinions with regards to this “Quench Sea” desalination unit for £111;

The weblink is…. https://www.quenchsea.world/

Wishing you all a super Christmas with fair winds throughout 2023.

Sonia
SY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
My rule of thumb for “mission critical” gear for widely wandering vessels is that there be a decent number of units built (certainly many hundreds) and used over a good period of time (5 years, better 10) with many independent field reports by experienced users.
The technology is there for a unit of that size and shape, but the price is way out of line with comparable units (Katadyne Survivor 06 for ex. looks very similar: except for the price). I have used Katadyne products for ~~2 decades and find them well built and reliable.
Now there may be breakthroughs I am unaware of making the price point of the QuenchSea workable, but I would be wary of their just using materials that are just less expensive and less robust
And is your intention just for a reasonably priced back-up for already carrying an adequate supply of water (not mission critical) or is to be used regularly for drinking water on a vessel unable (or unwilling for weight reasons) to carry enough water (mission critical) or to put in a Grab Bag for an abandon ship situation (again mission critical).
Another thing to be aware of: hand-operated watermakers take a lot of work for a modest amount of water: one is well motivated in a liferaft hoping for rescue. Not so much fun on a regular basis.
Let us know more about this piece of gear as you gather information. If as good as advertised, then it could be a valuable addition to many widely wandering vessels.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thanks Dick,

To answer your question, my boat has a 160litre fresh water tank and I always have fresh bottled water sufficient for offshore liferaft purposes.

So, this desalination unit is for a back up and to rinse washed clothes.

I believe the QuenchSea works by reverse osmosis using hand pumping to deliver up to 6 litres of fresh water for every hours pumping. This device is also recommended as a fresh water source by the World Healthcare Organisation for countries facing droughts or with insufficient plumbing
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search