OCC Forums

satellite phones for grib files

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic743.aspx

By gareththomas50 - 19 Dec 2012

Basically the choice seems to be Iridium or immarsat... has anybody an opinion.. Gareth
By simoncurrin - 19 Dec 2012

Gareth,
We have been using Iridium both afloat and ashore since 1999 and we are very happy with the service. There is no need to point aerials, the hand sets get ever more portable and robust. We have been able to get voice and data from the Antarctic to the Himalaya. The only issue has been data speed but I see they have broadband options now - at a price! For GRIBS though the data speeds are fine.
Simon
By gareththomas50 - 19 Dec 2012

thanks simon,, ut the imarsat phones are a whole lot cheaper and I think but can 't confirm that costs are lower too.. do you know of anyone who has one..gareth
By simoncurrin - 19 Dec 2012

Gareth,
We hired an Inmarsat years ago and we were stunned by the call costs. You pay even if you don 't connect. I am sure though that the technology and pricing has evolved since then though (our experience was in 1998). I don 't know any current Inmarsat users. There are always second hand Iridium sets on ebay (and on this Forum) if you don 't mind using one of the older, clunkier handsets.
Simon