satellite phones for grib files

Author
gareththomas50
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Basically the choice seems to be Iridium or immarsat... has anybody an opinion.. Gareth
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Gareth,
We have been using Iridium both afloat and ashore since 1999 and we are very happy with the service. There is no need to point aerials, the hand sets get ever more portable and robust. We have been able to get voice and data from the Antarctic to the Himalaya. The only issue has been data speed but I see they have broadband options now - at a price! For GRIBS though the data speeds are fine.
Simon
gareththomas50
gareththomas50
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
thanks simon,, ut the imarsat phones are a whole lot cheaper and I think but can 't confirm that costs are lower too.. do you know of anyone who has one..gareth
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Gareth,
We hired an Inmarsat years ago and we were stunned by the call costs. You pay even if you don 't connect. I am sure though that the technology and pricing has evolved since then though (our experience was in 1998). I don 't know any current Inmarsat users. There are always second hand Iridium sets on ebay (and on this Forum) if you don 't mind using one of the older, clunkier handsets.
Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search