New Life Jacket with Tether Design

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
There 's a very interesting new design of life jacket from Team O in GB that keeps a victim who has fallen overboard with head above water and dragging backward. It also facilitates retrieval to the boat. Looks really good. The PBO test video is worth watching.

http://www.teamomarine.com/back-pull-technology

Vice Commodore, OCC 
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Makes perfect sense, Daria. There 've been industrial safety harnesses, for use in grain silos etc, configured this way for a long time. It 's better to have the tether behind you if you 're winding a winch, for example.

Yet I believe I have a better way. I use a waist belt, with a one metre tether clipped to lines that are well inboard. I simply can 't go over the rail and into the water. As a single-hander, it would be of no benefit to me to be towed through the water more comfortably.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Good point, David! First rule of sailing: STAY ON THE BOAT!

But I do believe that having the tether out of the way behind you makes sense.

By the way, I finally discovered what Tystie means while visiting Rum in the Small Isles of Scotland! Thought of you!

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search