Lightning Protection - what 's your experience?

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Interesting new (2013) article on lightning, sailboats and what works to protect them.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/sg071

A previous boat we had was hit twice by lightning while moored in Long Island Sound. It had a lightning dissipator (bottle brush concept), which we took to calling The Attractor. The first time occurred as a discharge nearby witnessed by friends. It caused "intermittent equipment problems" - chi-ching. No insurance evidence.

The second time was a direct hit to the masthead witnessed by staff in the marina. All electronics and electrical systems were fried and a foot wide hole was blown out through the keel. Insurance covered everything. Replacement of all wiring, electronics, haul out and fix of keel etc. Fortunately we were not onboard either time.

Oh and by the way, we did take to hanging a "fish" overboard via a metal cable connected to one of the stays and to leaving our handhelds in the Faraday Cage (oven).

What 's your experience?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search