Azores to London - timing and itinerary advice

Author
Maxwell Fletcher
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Lynnie and I plan to sail 'Juanona ' from Maine to the Azores next June and spend several weeks there before heading to London, where we hope to winter at St Katherine 's. I am tentatively planning to leave the Azores by mid-August, make landfall around Falmouth, and work our way towards London for arrival sometime in late September. Is this a reasonable itinerary and time frame? I believe some folks prefer to make landfall in S Ireland but then it 's a bit more of a sail to London. I 'd appreciate any suggestions on this leg. Thanks, and the best to all OCC friends in 2014. Max
lassen
lassen
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
We sailed back from the Azores to Mylor (more welcoming than Falmouth in my view) last summer (2013) after five weeks in the islands so your schedule looks entirely reasonable. Could easily have spent longer out there.

Richard and Celia Lassen, Oestara

www.followingwind.co.uk Callsign: oestara PIN: 6301 (click on 2013)
Paul Heiney
Paul Heiney
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Hello,

Don 't rush the Azores. Lovely place and lovely people.
I don 't know the size of your boat but it 's 1200 miles from Horta to Falmouth so certainly less than 2 weeks, and the winds are more likely to be behind you going in that direction.
I think leaving the Azores in mid August might be a bit late. The north Atlantic can get a bit wound up at that time of year with the residues of the Caribbean hurricanes. End of July might be a better time.
Ireland is way off your track, but it 's a lovely cruising area. But mid August is again too late for the best weather - although you can be lucky. Save it for the following year!

Paul Heiney
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search