Baltic 2012

Author
godshalk
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Golden Eye is presently in Stockholm. Summer 's itinerary May-Aug is Aaland Is, Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga, Gotland; then likely Gdansk, Kiel, Oslo, wintering Denmark or W coast of Sweden (suggestions welcome!). I look forward to meeting port officers and rendezvous with any OCC boats. Ernie Godshalk +1 603 854 0424
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Ernie, You are following much of the route that we sailed in 2008. Snippets of which are written up on our blog: Voyages of Shimshal

As an alternative to the Kiel Canal do consider the infrequently visited Limsfjord as a route back to the North Sea. We over-wintered on the West Coast of Sweden on the island of Orust which of course has state of the art facilities.

Geoff Payne has posted about his Baltic plans for this summer in the "Chart Exchange" section so do watch out for him. We are sending him some charts and harbour guides when he gets to Orkney. We also have British friends over wintering in Oxelosund just south of Stockholm. I think they are heading for the Gulf of Bothnia so do watch out for Helen and Dave on board SEEWOLF as you may cross their paths.

Simon
Tonygooch
Tonygooch
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Hello Ernie, Our paths may cross again. We last met somewher north of Manchester, but I can 't remember the name of the river. . We are starting out the summer in Oban, Scotland. After ruising in the Western Isales we hope to be heading for Norway and then down to Denmark where we may leave Taonui for the winter. I have no info of haul out facilities in Denmark but I have heard that the OCC Port Officer in Kiel is most knowledgeable and helpful. Best wishes for a good summer and fair winds. Tony Gooch, Victoria, Canada
godshalk
godshalk
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Tony, thank you. I think we may have met also at CCA (PNW) as I get out there often to see my old friend and new OCC (his qualifying voyage was our transatlantic in 2010) and PNW member, Doug Adkins. I will sail with him in SJs CCA in May and hopefully Desolation Sound in Sept - perhaps see you there. (You may have met Doug and Susan at the recent OCC event in BC on which they reported very favorably.)

Thanks for reminder to contact OCC Kiel PO - meant to do that before now.

I have also been referred to Fantasi Yachts marina in Uddevala (near Gothenburg)Sweden.

I hope to see you in Denmark end of summer and get your report on Norway which is my 2013 (and 14?) destination.

You likely know the area better than I but while in Western Isles, try between Hellisay and Gighay. In Norway, don 't miss Blindleia passage (19 meter bridge, photo attached, on Golden Eye we dipped the burgee) E of Kristiansand. Eastbound you can go inside Dvergsøy at 008 06 E.

egodshalk@gmail.com
+1 603 854 0424

Stay in touch.

Ernie
mikewestin
mikewestin
I am the PO in Stockholm and would be happy to help out with what I can. There 's an PDF in the Cruising Information that is slightly outdated (from the rally in 2006) on the Stockholm archipelago.

Send me an e-mail with whatever queries, and I will try to help!

I will post more info of places to leave the boat for the winter - the small local yacht clubs may have a place in the region of £200-300 for 6 months, but then you need to be there for the haul-out and normally provide supports.

Rgds,

Mike (oceanseglaren@gmail.com)
godshalk
godshalk
Hi, Mike, and thank you for your offer. Golden Eye is now at Sune Carlsson. I am hoping she will be ready when I arrive May 17. In any event, I will likely be in the area for 2-3 days catching up with friends and provisioning, then headed for Mariehamn. Will you be in the area? I would like to say hello.

Ernie
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
New Occ members Helen and David Holden are in the Baltic too on board SEEWOLF 2. Starting from Oxelosund south of Stockholm they are heading for the Gulf of Bothnia and then back to Oxelosund.
godshalk
godshalk
Simon, thanks.

Golden Eye is now at Virstu, Estonia having sailed from Saltsjobaden to Aaland I to Turku to Helsinki to Tallinn. Happy to share experiences with anyone in the area. Bound for Kuressaama, Visby, Kalmar, Copenhagen, Gothenburg...

Ernie GODSHALK +1 603 854 0424
Egodshalk@gmail.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search