Obtaining Prescriptions overseas

Author
toucanbird1
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
As old age looms closer and now require medication is there any easy way of picking up repeat prescriptions in some of the more remote locations of the world?
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Barry,
Undoubtedly the best option is to take everything with you as the medication will be of known provenance. In many countries drugs can be bought over the counter but brands and branding will vary between countries and this may be particularly important with certain angina and epilepsy drugs where bioavailability is really important. Also many drugs commonly used in the UK are not available even in other parts of Europe and vice versa.

In the UK GP 's are allowed to issue NHS scripts for their patients travelling abroad for up to three months. Many will, however, be happy to issue private scripts for those travelling for longer. This need not be an expensive option as many drugs are now off patent and cost very little. As most drugs have lengthy shelf lives it should be possible to take a years worth with you.

Be wary about posting drugs around the world as this might be illegal and, with controlled drugs, could get you into big trouble.

Simon
dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My GP was prepared to issue scripts, each for three months, to cover me for the first 9 months. I have been home since so scripts have since been for shorter periods. People joining the boat can collect them and bring them.

If you run out, in many places a pharmacy will sell you anything it stocks (other than sedatives, morphine etc) without a script. That is, if they stock what you need. Many things that NICE approve are not widely available outside the UK (and vice versa).

You can take your last script to an Wnglish speaking local doctor and pay them to issue a new one. In some countries that is easy - in others (e.g New Zealand) it is a real (expensive) palaver.

The key issue I have had - having been away for four years - is that I took a fairly comprehensive medical kit of painkillers, antibiotics etc as well as local aesthetics (stitching wounds, inserting catheters (sic) etc.) The sell by dAte on many of these was quite short and all expired after two or so years. Replenishing your kit in a non- English speaking country is very hard.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search