We use UGrib

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We have been using UGrib to download GRIB files via SAT phone while underway. To make it economically feasible and a small enough file to download relatively fast, we only get small sections in our vicinity. That compromises our ability to "see" what 's coming. Has anyone else come up with a viable solution that won 't break the bank on an ocean crossing?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Jonathan Flack
Jonathan Flack
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We've been using LuckGrib now for a few years, and have found it to be an incredibly good companion to Expedition.  The offshore download options reduce grib sizes by a fair margin.  The developer is a fellow cruiser, and a long time software developer with a lot of experience with graphics development, so the visualizations are first rate.

The routing is also very solid, and I would rate it second only to Expedition.

They were also first to deliver true Grib2 functionality in a sailing app, as well as support for ensemble gribs.

It's only available on MacOS and iOS, but for those looking for great Grib and routing app, it's worth the time.  Lots of youtube training vids from the developer as well.
Jonathan Flack
Jonathan Flack
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dick - 29 Dec 2022
[quote]
Jonathan.Flack - 28 Dec 2022
It's only available on MacOS and iOS, but for those looking for great Grib and routing app, it's worth the time.  Lots of youtube training vids from the developer as well.

I should add that LuckGrib has it's own server infrastructure in the cloud for the purpose of hosting their Offshore Weather services https://offshore.luckgrib.com/ .

I am using this now on a delivery from Antigua to Ft. Lauderdale and am using the offshore service to grab Grib data half way across the Atlantic, and the data footprint for the 3 weather models I typically use is not an issue at all.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search