Anchors and anchoring

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
As keeping your boat securely connected to the bottom is really important for the safety and well being of all distance cruisers, an ongoing discussion of issues about gear and technique can be very helpful. Ground tackle has been dramatically improving over the past few years, and as a result techniques for deploying that tackle have been modified.

This is a great place for members to share their experience with newer anchors and related gear, tricky anchorages, and tips for effective technique.

And if you have a great story to tell, please share it. We all know that anchoring is a spectator sport, and we all love a good story.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Attachments
70640037.JPG (460 views, 44.00 KB)
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
We are pleased to offer OCC forum visitors a 10% discount on our book, "Happy Hooking - The Art of Anchoring." Although many members will be well acquainted with the topics Happy Hooking covers, we have been told often that it makes a great gift for those newer to cruising and anyone wishing to upgrade their ground tackle.

To receive your discount, please order direct from www.coastalboating.net and enter the discount code TJUFCJ6K for Percentage Off 10%. http://www.coastalboating.net/Resources/Books/CSBooks/HappyHooking.html

To read the review in Flying Fish, please follow this link. http://cic.oceancruisingclub.org/articles/2659/HAPPY_HOOKING.pdf?1327665806

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Attachments
Coverwebsmall.jpg (461 views, 20.00 KB)
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Daria,
I have re-posted this in equipment as requested but will create a new topics on anchoring when I have more reliable Internet access. That might be in about 10 days time when we are back from the Alps.
Simon
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
In 2007 we upgraded from an undersized Delta to an oversized Manson Supreme and we have certainly noticed the difference. It 's a lot less fiddly to set and only once has it dragged. We have had a few problems but overall we are pleased with the investment. The problems we have had are as follows:

1. The time it dragged we were anchored on a kelp strewn sea bed with too short a scope but when it dragged the roll bar must have temporarily snagged a rock on the bottom as the weld connecting the roll bar to the fluke of the anchor failed. Obviously this didn 't impact on the structural part of the anchor but it did mean that we had to get it welded up. We corresponded with Manson in New Zealand who were very helpful though of course we got it welded locally.

2. We never changed the stem fitting when we upgraded. One of the attractions of the Manson is the slotted shaft which works a bit like a tripping line if the anchor gets stuck. We used this slot during the first season but found that the anchor was very unstable as it came over the roller during lifting. On many occasions the anchor fell off during lifting and damaged the top sides. Since then we have not used the slot but have used the the fixed connection to the shnk and we have no recurrence of the problem. I guess the message is that if you want to use the slotted shaft you may well need to modify your stem fitting to make it deep enough to accommodate the relatively broad shank.

Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
Hi Simon,
Wow! Very nice survey structure. I would, however, like to add a few anchors to the list and also include a category for Other. Is it possible to have people actually type in what the "other" would be? The full list could be just for the primary bower category.

Anchors:

Fisherman
Danforth
Fortress
Bruce/Claw
CQR
Delta
Sarca
Kobra 2
Brake
Spade
Ultra
Buegel
Rocna
Manson Supreme
Other ________
None

Thank you! You 're amazing.

Daria

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
Simon
I received an error message when I submitted my response to you and it took a very long time to load.

SMTP Error! Data not accepted.
Language string failed to load: smtp_error

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
How about incorporating just a couple more snippets of info in the survey?

1. Size (displacement) of boat
2. Size of Chain (if used)
3. Swivel used or not? (Type?)

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Daria,
I think the error message relates to the email notification of your posting. No idea why the email failed but the post is fine.

I have updated your list of anchors and added you as an editor so, by clicking the view report link, it should take you to your google account log on. If you then log on you should be able to see the report in real time. Let me know if it doesn 't work for you.

I have also added in Bill 's suggestions.

I 'll post the link on Facebook and perhaps put it in a more prominent part of the Forum? do forward it to Dick and Colin for wider publication if you wish.

Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
We have just completed a new article about the history of anchors. Do you know the origin of your anchor?

http://www.coastalboating.net/Cruising/Seamanship/Anchoring/History.html

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Attachments
ITBAnchor.jpg (419 views, 38.00 KB)
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
We are pleased to announce that our book Happy Hooking. The Art of Anchoring is now available for Kindle on amazon.com worldwide. The print edition is the bestselling anchoring book on amazon.com. There is a full post of our press release on the OCC Forum 'for sale ' page.

We have also posted excerpts covering a wide range of anchoring topics on our website. http://www.coastalboating.net/Resources/Books/CSBooks/HappyHooking.html

[attachment=62]HH-2011-FrontCover-web-sm-thmb.jpg[/attachment]

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Attachments
HH-2011-FrontCover-web-sm-thmb.jpg (389 views, 25.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search