USB Charging for all those gizmos

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Good article about all the battery charging needs for all the devices we now carry. Have you come across any special issues or useful discoveries?

http://www.sailmagazine.com/boatworks/usb-charging

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Hasbun
Hasbun
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ben Ellison is a great, dependable source.

I would add that "5V USB outlets" for boat or auto use are simple DC-DC step down converters from 12V to 5V, and that most of them are energised even if not in use; i.e., are always using a small amount of power. Therefore, it 's probably a good idea to have the possibility of switching them off easily.

Our boat 's native power is 24V and we found small cigarette lighter adapters that are 12/24V to 5V USB. Under some circumstances, this has been a great solution when we needed to charge USB electronics and did not want to power up the largish Mastervolt and Victron 24V to 12V converters that power our 12V circuits.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search