OceansWatch calling on Skippers, Mates, Engineers

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Skippers, Mates, Engineers

(warning, this could be a life changing experience).
This year we shall have 2 project yachts in the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, the 46’ double ender Anna Rose and the 38’ Wharram, Tiki Catamaran, Anum Cara. Both yachts will be prepared to NZ Category 1 safety standards. Preparation starts soon. ETD New Zealand mid May and return late November.

Skipper. The minimum qualification is RYA Yachtmaster, with several ocean passages and 25,000nm AS SKIPPER. Good engineering and general boat maintenance skills are essential as you will be responsible for boat preparation and sailing in very remote areas, so must be able to rely on your own resources. Very good people skills are absolutely essential. An OceansWatch skipper needs to be very self aware and very good at empowering as opposed to telling crew what to do! Safety is paramount so your record must be impeccable. You will need recent First Aid qualifications and PADI Open Water diver (can be obtained during project preparation). We would expect the skipper to be keen and able to contribute to other areas of our work.

Mate/Engineer. This is a great opportunity to gain experience for an early career skipper. Minimum qualification RYA Coastal/Offshore Yachtmaster and some engineering skills, PADI Open Water diver and recent First Aid. You will be sailing with OceansWatch CEO Chris Bone who has >230,00nm experience and loves to teach enthusiastic sailors. Your job will be to back up Chris and take over if he needs to leave the boat for some reason. Good people skills essential. Volunteer position. Applicant must be able to contribute to other areas of our work.
We are unclear exactly how the financial situation will pan out this year yet but we aim to have a stipend and all food onboard paid for the skipper. For the Mate/Engineer the situation will vary according to what else they can offer such as diving or conservation qualifications and experience.

"This experience with OW has been a huge eye opener for me on so many levels. I have learned so many things, and unlearned a bunch more, and I am infinitely grateful for all the lessons and experiences. I will forever remember this adventure with all of you, and can draw from it in so many aspects of my life. I have learned about personal space, about perseverance, about loving acceptance, about forgiveness. I have seen people and felt cultures I would have never encountered otherwise. I have learned languages and myths and played with so many cool little ocean creatures and island children. This has given me direction in life (or other directions) and has put every part of my being to the test. Good luck in the future, Charlotte Leger, 2014"

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
The call is urgent. If you have some time and can volunteer services as a skipper for relief efforts in Vanuatu, please contact Chris Bone asap. They have vessels ready to go but need qualified personnel to sail them over from NZ.

chris@oceanswatch.org

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search