Alert Bay and Port McNeill, Johnstone Strait

Author
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If you 're cruising through Johnstone Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound on your way north, and you need a doctor, call into Alert Bay (a 'Namgis First Nation town), Cormorant Island and find Dr. John Jensen 's surgery near the grocery store. He is a South African and ex ocean sailor who sailed in here and settled down when his wife died and he didn’t fancy single-handing. He saw me straight away, made a diagnosis and gave me an injection and some some pills, and wouldn’t take a cent in payment. He doesn’t, from out of state and foreign visitors. Compare that with the A & E at the two local hospitals, who charge about $1000 for treatment. Most of the medical centres around here charge about $75 - $90 for a consultation, which is fair enough, but the one in Port McNeill couldn’t give me an appointment for a week.

However, Port McNeill is better and more convenient for stores, fuel and laundry before you head on out and up the BC coast. The harbour staff are very friendly and helpful.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search