Re: FlyingFish on the IPad and Kindle

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Christine,
It 's very easy. You need to go to the main OCC website and log on using the same log on you used for this forum. Then down the menu bar on the left hand side of the screen select "Publications". You will then get another menu with "Flying Fish" at the top. Select that and you will open a page which allows you to either en the full version of FF or individual sections. If you click the 6mb full version the PDF will download onto your iPad. I then open it iBooks where you can save it and read it off line.

This link will take you directly to the download page if you are already logged on as a member: http://www.oceancruisingclub.org/index.php/publications/2011-09-10-16-58-07
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)
We are trying to make Kindle versions of Flying Fish more accessible to Kindle users.

An interim solution is to download FF1/2012 using this link.

Once you have done this you will have the Flying Fish in an eBook format on your PC/MAC.

All you have to do then is email this file to your Amazon email address.

The file will now be visible in your Amazon Kindle Account. It can be downloaded from your Amazon account to read off line on your kindle.

Good luck!

We will be bringing out a more compressed versions in due course which will speed the download process.Watch this space!

Please let me know if it works for you.

Simon
fgrennie
fgrennie
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon

Thank you for this. I was using my laptop and clicked on the link, the FF downloaded I then attempted to email it to my kindle account (which is a different email address). I was then asked by Amazon to add my hotmail account to my personal settings before it would accept the email.

I did this and the FF was added to my account which is on my tablet I was then able to send it to my kindle using wi-fi.

Had a look at the FF on the Kindle and it is fine, the only thing is the Kindle is black and white so the photo 's don 't have such an impact as they do in colour, on the other hand some people might have the new Kindle Fire which is in colour.

I am sure if I had done it all on the tablet in the first place it would have been a lot easier.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Frances,

Thanks for for the feedback - I have been keeping my fingers crossed!

I don 't know this for sure but I suspect that the Kindle Fire will read PDF 's much better than previous versions so hopefully the iPad edition will work fine on those. Can anyone out there with a Kindle Fire confirm this?

Simon
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
I have deleted a lot of the earlier posts explaining how to get Flying Fish on your Kindle. I have done this because the technology has moved on.

Here is where we are at he moment.

1. All Kindles before the Kindle Fire can only read PDF 's containing pictures if they are converted to an eBook format. Although the text of a pdf will be legible they can 't re-size the pictures making the formatting hopeless.
2. FF 2012/1 can be downloaded directly in a Kindle friendly format using the link FF2012/1
3. A much more compressed Kindle version of FF2012/2 wil soon be available and I will post the link on the Forum as soon as the paper version has been distributed.
4. Once you have the file all you need to do is email it as an attachement to your own Kindle email address. It seems to take up to half an hour for the eBook to then show up on your Kindle online account ready to be download to your own Kindle. You have to so into the "Archived" section of your online Kindle account to find it and begin the download to your device.

There are other ways to get the FF on you Kindle. Amazon now has an experimental pdf converter built into it 's Kindle website. So you could download the original PDF from the Member 's website and email it as an attachment to your Kindle email account. In order to trigger the conversion all you have to do is type CONVERT into the subject box of your email.

I am sure this system will improve in the coming few months
Simon Currin
Simon Currin

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search