SSB Newbie

Author
Kelly
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
Hello,

I 've recently joined as an Associate Member and re-fitting to get the sea-miles under my keel to erase the A on the burgee.

I installed a new ICOM 802 with PTC-IIIUSB, KTSS counter poise, and Gamm Split Lead antenna. Then I promptly lost the modem, gps receiver, computer, and in ifNMEA 2k2 interface cable to lightening.

The 802 seems Okay and I bought a new modem, computer, gps, and 2k2 interface. Looks lie the Audio/Power cable is also fried and that should bring the new modem back on line.

I received from Minnesota but could not get a radio check. I suspect that is because Minnesota is in the top middle of the US and Georgia is on the bottm right and I just do not have the power Minnesota has.

I am hoping there is a member local to Georgia (Fort McAllister Marina, Ogeechee River, Richmond Hill, near Savannah,) with an SSB who can contact me and set up a radio check.

Seems simple to just dial around until I find a station and get a test. However, I am legally blind (LIght Perception only OU through the central 90 degrees of visual field) and seeing the tiny little screen and numbers on the radio is a seeing skill.

So, in the words of the man standing on the crumbling edge of the cliff... HELP!

The easiest way to reach me is direct to my email:
semperfidelas@gmail.com

or Phone:
(706) 410 4228

or VHF
Patience, WDH7549 if you are that close.

I will attempt to check here. However, I can see about one square inch of the screen with my adaptive technology and forums are a bit tedious so I will appreciate alternate contact given above.

thanks
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
I have just re-posted your note on the Facebook page. Hopefully, you 'll get a response soon. Good luck! Installing an SSB was a really good move.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Jeanne Socrates
Jeanne Socrates
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Patience

Seems this might be of interest since they cover E. Coast USA:

Cruiseheimers Net..... 0830 ET on 8152

http://www.bigdumboat.com/network.html

Eastern U.S. and Canada, The Bahamas, and northern Caribbean. A key Net for cruisers on the east coast of the USA, Caribbean and for those crossing from Europe.
Meets each morning, seven days a week at 0830 Eastern Time on SSB 8152 kHz / 8.152 mHz -OR- 6.516 mHz or 6.227 mHz during the seasonal change (very loosely defined as Fall to Spring).
This group of volunteers relay boats and locations, keeping an eye out for boats on passage. On the same frequency, Dick Giddings, DOODAH Net, at 1700 (05:00 PM Eastern time) also does the same, on 8152 USB.
The Cruiseheimers Net website also has some excellent communications articles.

I 'll copy to your email address.... If no use, there must be some boat on SE coast of USA who can listen out for you. (I 've used CG or Coast Radio stns before now)

Good luck

Jeanne
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search