OCC Fleet

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Nick,
A question for you and for readers of this thread. Should the map require members to log in to view it or should it be in the open to all section of the web? I don 't have a strong view but would welcome opinion and discussion.
Simon
nhalsey
nhalsey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I think it should be members only as long as that gives access to the PO 's and POR 's.

PS I found the link to the map on the OCC site
Thanks Simon
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon, perhaps we should discuss this within committee, but my own views are that although the Marine Traffic information is in the public domain, the OCC Fleet Map is very much an OCC facility and should be accessible by OCC members only. This would require a log-in to the OCC website to access it.

We have promoted this as a facility for members to locate the boats of other members, not to display to the world in general where, as a Club, our members are sailing. There might be some PR benefit in this but before taking that step I would require a General Committee debate.

If a member of the public wants to trace a boat, whether OCC or not, they can do so via the Marine Traffic website, always assuming that boat 's position is recorded there.

John
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
John,
I agree with all you say but there are a couple of counter arguments. Some on Facebook imply that the password issue is an impediment to their use of the website and thus the map. Also, if fully populated, the map does demonstrate, at a glance, the global reach of the club. I agree though that these are minor considerations but worthy of debate.
Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search