OCC Fleet

Author
Amarylla
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Simon,

I 've completed your form but as I don 't have AIS, I guess Daq Attack won 't show up automatically.
She is laid up in Folleux on the River Vilaine in W Brittany.
Incidently, Polynya [Chris Elliot] is there too.

Cheers

David
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)
Group: Administrators
David,
There are at least 5 alternative methods to enable position reporting for your vessel. These are listed below:

[ul]
[li]AIS transponder this is automatic and does not require a marintraffic.com account[/li]
[li]mAIS: Android or iOS self-reporting app[/li]
[li]E-mails with positions ' reports[/li]
[li]Satellite or 3G/GSM locator devices[/li]

In order to use any of these you will first need to open your own account on www.marinetraffic.com but don 't worry this is free! Once you have your boat and MMSI registered you will be able to report your position by either email or using the free app called mAIS available from app store. Both are very easy to use. I don 't need to describe how to use the app but I will post below instructions as to how to send a position report by email.

How to email a position report to the OCC Map
1. Register your boat on the OCC Fleet
2. Open an marinetraffic.com account and thereport@marinetraffic.comn register you boat and MMSI. Ideally upload a photo too.
3. Email your boats position to report@marinetraffic.com but you MUST use the following format:

MMSI=235027206
LAT=56.21915
LON=-5.548925
SPEED=0.1
COURSE=236
TIMESTAMP=2015-06-15 08:31

Latitude and Longitude should be in decimal degrees. Negative values for South or West coordinates. Speed in knots. Timestamp in UTC
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Simon,
I 've registered for a free account with marinetraffic.com but I can 't see where I need to go to add my vessel name and MMSI.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)Forum Expert (608 reputation)
David,
From memory you have an iPad on board so your best bet is to download the mAIS app from the the App Store and enter your boat details on that. You can then use that to post your position.

David please note the map display is not stable at the moment in that the map sometimes (unpredictably) displays an unfiltered view and I have a query logged with their help desk. Hopefully we will have this solved soon but in the meantime please be patient. If you have any clue as to why it is getting intermittently screwed up then any help welcome.
Simon
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
David,
I wondered if you had managed to try the mAIS App yet for posting a quasi AIS position that then can be displayed on the OCC Fleet map?
Simon
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
[quote="simoncurrin" post=2514]David,
I wondered if you had managed to try the mAIS App yet for posting a quasi AIS position that then can be displayed on the OCC Fleet map?
Simon[/quote]

I 've now got the mAIS app, and have managed to get it to display my correct position on the marinetraffic map (ashore at Whangarei for a refit). I 've used S.V. TYSTIE as my name, to distinguish me from the tug Tystie in Shetland, and my MMSI is 232004694.

Once I 'm back afloat and cruising, it would be better if marinetraffic got my position from my Iridium GO, wouldn 't it?
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
David,
Thanks for the update.

Oddly enough I still can 't 232004694 or s.v. tystie on the marine traffic database to add you on to our map but I will check again tomorrow in case it takes sometime to update.

I have posted a position from offshore using email via an Iridium GO but I haven 't tried to configure the automated reports within IridiumGO. As you know data can be captured from other trackers to the Marinetraffic database so it should all be achievable. If you do manage it please post a "how to guide" on this thread on the forum.

I just did some fiddling with mAIS and have managed to inadvertently change my boats position from Iceland to the middle of Wales! Now I have to figure how to shift it back again.
Simon
David Tyler
David Tyler
There seems to be something amiss with the marinetraffic database. If I zoom in on the map, I can see S.V. Tystie, but if I use the search box, I get no result. Also, if I click on the map icon, I cannot get the further information that I can get for other vessels.

As well as mAIS, for position reporting only, as far as I can see, there 's another Apple app, "marine traffic ships and wind", that displays the map on my iPad, with the filtering etc, as for the computer website.

I 've just sent an Iridium GO position report to myself, and it comes in this format:

Lat-35deg44 '18" Lon+174deg20 '47" Alt+033ft GPS Sats seen: 06 2015-10-27 23:06UTC http://map.iridium.com/m?lat=-35.738382&lon=174.346538 Sent via Iridium GO!

That isn 't the format needed by marine traffic, so I don 't know what can be done, except get the two outfits to talk to each other about the need for a common standard.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
David,
You are now on the OCC Fleet Map. I think the 'live view ' database takes a day or two to synchronise with their main database which informs our map.
Simon
nhalsey
nhalsey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
We are on the map, well done!
It worked automatically after I registered.
Can we have a short cut to the map on the OCC main page?
Regards
Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search