Westbound Transatlantic SSB Net

Author
chrisdevans
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
Anyone heading to the Caribbean later this year?

We are planning to leave Turkey at the end of the July, wending our way west to Gibraltar for late September, then down to Canaries by mid October to cruise the islands there, and then setting off at end November/beginning of December for Barbados initially.

We will probably check in with Mednet up to GIB, but it would be great to connect with any other OCC members with similar plans beyond.

PS no experience of setting up or running an SSB net, but it looks like plenty of knowledge out there in the OCC!!

Chris
Sv Tulu of Fowey
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Chris
I floated the idea of an eastbound SSB net in these columns a few weeks ago but hadn 't yet started on encouraging a westbound net yet, so your enquiry is very pertinent and very welcome.

I had talked about this (a westbound net)a few weeks ago to OCC members Brian and Sandy Duker, who also run the CA 's Blue Water Section. I proposed the idea of a joint OCC/CA net - probably organised by OCC - in order to get a critical mass to run an active net. By chance I met Sandy Duker yesterday in London and she advised me that the CA has 21 members crossing westbound this year and she has since given me their email addresses. What we need now is someone to organise this and act as a Net Controller.

Are there any more OCC members westbound this fall?
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Chris
Trust you have checked all the advice from John MacDougall on the eastbound thread under the same topic?
chrisdevans (Past OCC Member)
chrisdevans
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi John

Yes, indeed, Johns technical knowledge excellent. Joint CA net seems a good plan.

Will keep an eye for progress, as no urgency now.

Chris
dbentzel
dbentzel
Our cruising plans have us westbound this winter and we would participate in the net. Plan to be in the Canaries about the same time that you will be there, but we are planning to head to Antigua instead. Let us know how we can help out.
Dick and Moira
s/v Equinox
chrisdevans
Hi Dick and Moira

Excellent - that makers two of us!! Will you be on the Dragnet during the late summer heading for GIB/Canaries?

Chris and Sara
Sv Tulu
dbentzel
dbentzel
Hi Chris and Sara -
Don 't have plans right now to be on Dragnet. We wintered over in London at St. Katharine Docks and are now currently in Ipswich getting some repairs done to the boat. Will be heading to Netherlands and then down the Atlantic coast of France, Spain and Portugal, but not into the Med. Will probably leave from Lagos for Porto Santo and Maderia late September and cruise there for a couple of weeks before heading to Canaries.

Dick and Moira
catia
catia
Hello all!
Greetings from sunny Madeira Island!
My name is Catia Esteves and I 'm Port Officer for Madeira Archipelago and would like to present to you my support if you decide to visit the Islands on route to Canaries.
For those sailing either from Algarve or from Gibraltar, the Madeiran Archipelago is about 3/4 days sailing. so instead of sailing directly to the Canaries (with an average 7 days sailing), I invite and recomend to visit the Archipelago.
For those interested in this route, pls send me a message and I will send you all thecnical information on marinas (I 'm a Marina Manager at Quinta do Lorde), anchorage and cultural events for the next months.
fair winds and gentle seas
Catia
chrisdevans
Hi Dick and Moira

Any more heard on the net subject?

we are in Gibraltar heading to Lanzarote (Puerto Calero) on around 3rd October

Chris
SV Tulu
dbentzel
dbentzel
Hi Chris -
We haven 't heard anything about the net, but there has just been some discussion on that topic on the OCC Facebook page. Will let you know if we hear anything.

Currently we are in Lagos on the hard in Sopromar dealing with a few issues before we head out next week. We are heading first to Porto Santo and Madeira before heading to the Canaries. Have a safe sail and hope to meet up with you along the way.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search