UK to US passage in April-May via Madeira and Bermuda?

Author
Maxwell Fletcher
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My wife Lynnie and I are living aboard in the UK and considering options for returning to Maine. Lynnie doesn 't particularly like the Caribbean or hot weather, so it would be nice to avoid the traditional winter-months route via the Canaries and Caribbean. Plus, we would enjoy spending one more season in Northern Europe this coming 2016-17 winter.

In his Transatlantic Crossing Guide Don Street suggests April-May as a good time to get from Northern Europe to the Caribbean due to consistent trades, and the trades being furthest north during those months. I am considering leaving the UK early April, and hopping down the Spanish coast to Madeira. Leave Madeira and head far enough south to pick up the trades, hopefully not too much below 30N, head west, then up to Bermuda. We would aim to be in Bermuda by the end of May, then pick a window to head Maine.

I 'd appreciate any informed comments pro or con, and feedback if anyone has done it at that time of year. My biggest worry would be an early season hurricane, but May seems like a reasonable bet.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search