Advice on Rio Dulce and surrounding area please

Author
Irenka wood
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
We 're a family with three kids under 10, thinking of cruising the Rio Dulce April - November 2017 on our friends ' borrowed sailboat. If anyone has any advice concerning hurricane season, cruising area and suitability for young kids (is the reputation for violent crime in Guatemala over hyped?) we 'd be most grateful. Thanks!

The secret to happiness is freedom, the secret to freedom in courage!
Kelly (Past OCC Member)
Kelly
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
I have just taken the position as Port Officer, Rio Dulce, Guatemala. I have been on the Rio Dulce since May of 2016.

Any reports of high crime are greatly exaggerated. The people here are honest, hard working, and friendly. The Cruising Community and the local community blend smoothly and at times almost seamlessly.

The Rio is central to everything this side of the Caribbean and no more than a day to a few days sail away. That is, after you finish experiencing this interesting and amazing country. The Rio is a destination in itself with a stable and friendly culture. Add to that exploring the Rio and its lakes and tributaries, the Jungle, the Mayan Archeological Sites, the restored Spanish Fort (San Filipe de Castile,) and the endless fresh fruits and vegetables. There are a multitude of marinas ranging from full blow resort style to private water access only. Anchorage abound if you want even more privacy.

If you run out of things to do on the Rio, Belize, Roatan, Mexico, and Cuba are a day to a few days away. Whatever your plans are in the Western Caribbean, The Rio Dulce is the safe, affordable, and stable option.

This is the place to stay while you go to the other places.
If you want further details, contact me through the Port Officer Page or just drop me an email at:
semperfidelas@gmail.com

Kelly Piercy - OCC Rio Dulce, Guatemala, Port Officer
S/V Patience
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search