Stainless steel versus Galvanized Survey

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
The OCC Anchor Survey has provoked much debate on the Forum. One of the issues that has emerged is the choice of steel for ground tackle. Stainless steel is brittle and there are some issues about corrosion. If you would like to complete this brief survey I will post the results here in due course.

Click here to complete the ground tackle materials survey.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thanks Simon. Here are a few reference items for this topic.

There is an excellent piece on stainless steel chain by Adrian Pringle s/v Lalize here http://cic.oceancruisingclub.org/publications/2386/pringle.pdf?1291028719.

There is also a very good article about stainless steel ground tackle choices here http://insidepracticalsailor.com/is-stainless-steel-really-the-best-metal-for-use-in-an-anchor/.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear Everyone, I can 't imagine anyone using stainless steel in their ground tackle. The only functional plus is that it is easier to clean and that it stacks easier. The non-functional appeal has to be its eye appeal. None of the above come close to offsetting its negative attributes. To me, no stainless steel should be in a ground tackle system on any boat that is ever left alone or that is slept on.
Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Dear Everyone, I can 't imagine anyone using stainless steel in their ground tackle. The only functional plus is that it is easier to clean and that it stacks easier. The non-functional appeal has to be its eye appeal. None of the above come close to offsetting its negative attributes. To me, no stainless steel should be in a ground tackle system on any boat that is ever left alone or that is slept on.
Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
I fully agree with Dick. I would NEVER have any stainless steel component of any grade in my ground tackle. Why take the risk just because it looks good?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search