Panama Transit December 2015

Author
rachelle.turk
I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Summary of s/v Nimue Transit and notes for future transits- Michael & Anne Hartshorn.
s/v Nimue.

Shelter Bay Marina - Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this pleasant Marina. Water is included, but electricity is extra. The Marina Manager John Halley is both CA representative and OCC officer and very helpful. There is an on site air conditioned restaurant and a small but expensive grocery shop. There is a free bus departing each day into Colon (2hrs each way) and one, once a week to Panama City. The marina requires everything to be paid for in advance e.g. marina fees (inc. electricity) haul out/in, WiFi and any work undertaken by marina staff. The Marina takes a percentage on everything, an example is gas bottles. If the Marina fills it, it 's a lot more than taking it yourself on the bus. Haul out and hard standing can be a bit muddy, but you can DIY or pay for work to be done. Check who is competent at their job and make sure you ask for quote prior to any work being undertaken. We had a couple of nights out to anti-foul ourselves and paid for a full clean and polish. We were very pleased with both the cost and work done. Ask for OCC & CA club discount, (they use to give) we did not receive, but it’s worth a try!

Anchoring - You can organise your own trip through and anchor on ‘the flats’ at the entrance to the canal, although no one did this while we where there. It is also very difficult to get ashore from ‘the flats’ and only a few survey and commercial vessels waiting for pilots used this area. There is a marina being built near in Isla Linton as an alternative to Shelter Bay, but it is not finished.

Canal transit and organising transit through the Canal - There are 2 options:- DIY or use an Agent. DIY is cheaper and having spoken to people who took this route, it takes time but not too difficult and most undertook research on Noon-site for info. on ‘how to do it’. We decided to use an Agent and after our own research, we decided to use Eric Galvez (info@centenarioconsulting.com). We also used Rogelio as a guide in Panama and we understand he now has his Agents license (mango50@hotmail.com). Eric gave us a good discount, as we had a number of CA boats going through, over several weeks. Eric was going to put a package in place to include the transit, guiding and provisioning at Balboa. The transit price includes lines, fenders, paperwork and advice and additional line handlers can be requested, but at a cost. The Marina recommended Roy Bravo as an agent, who is well thought of, but we found the transit price was more expensive. Best to do your own research and get a group together if possible. To gain experience, we assisted other yachts as line handlers, before our own transit on Nimue. This was invaluable and highly recommended.

Notes - Do not use inexperienced people as line handlers. You are required to feed the pilot / advisor when onboard and they do like good food e.g chilli & rice, meatloaf and beans. Ensure you have plenty of bottled water and soft drinks, as they will not drink a beer. You can watch your boat transiting the various locks on the lock webcams. We advised friends in advance of our transit time and with some early practice, most were able to watch us go through, together with emails passing between us along the way. The total transit usually takes two days. Avoid requesting a side tie against the lock wall. They try not to do this as usually, you are in a raft or alongside a larger boat. As there were few ‘small’ vessels transiting in late December, we had no choice, but to do side tie against a wall twice! Fortunately, this occurred to us in the downward locks and we had no issues…..although good line handlers helped. Transit times can vary and they do try to get you out in daylight. If you want to stop, once through, there are two choices. The first place to stop is the Balboa Yacht Club, with buoys and a taxi service ashore (24hr) Very basic laundry facilities and the showers. It 's a no booking marina and available on first come, first serve. We did call on the day before and managed to secure a buoy. In fact, we stayed for over two weeks and found it generally okay, but quite rolly, as it is a working Marina with work boats going in and out. The marina is reducing the number of buoys available as the new development means a larger channel for ships, but a smaller Marina. The other option is the anchorage at Playita, which can be extremely rolly, with work boats dashing around, but it 's free. You have to pay to leave your dinghy in the Marina at the dinghy dock, but it is clean and safe. There are other marinas and anchorages, but none recommended.

Thoughts. You can find supermarkets at both ends of the Canal, but you do need transport. Food was generally very good and a good choice. Do try and have a tour of the locks and Panama City. Both are well worth it. We used Rogelio for both and can highly recommend him, both for value and advice. The weather is extremely HUMID, so fans or a portable air conditioning are a necessity when in the Marina. Use an import agent for getting spares into Panama otherwise Marine Warehouse is both a very good Marine Chandler and importer.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search