Rio Dulce, Guetemala

Author
Kelly
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
The Rio Dulce is the place when you come to this side of the Caribbean or need to leave your boat for the season.

To begin, the Rio Dulce is the safest Hurricane and Stom Hole in the entire Area from Africa to the extent of Atlantic and Gulf Storms.

If you need something for your boat, and can 't get it on the Rio, it does not exist and someone here among the talented and experienced tradesmen and craftsmen will fabricate it for you.

Leaving your boat for the season? Dry Storage, Wet Storage, all monitored, serviced and secure.

Crime, nope. These are honest, hard working people, the Cruising Community and the Local Community blend smoothly and seamlessly. The Local Guatemalans are friendly and helpful to a fault.

If you are a Cruising Sailor, history and culture are high on your list. The Heart of the Mayan Empire and the expansion of Western Civilization and a way that did not blanket that culture is something you cannot miss.
Nature and the Environment? How about 6 foot Iguanas in the trees and Heron resting on your dock lines?

Great Restaurants? $10 will buy you dinner in resort style. $1.50 will buy you breakfast, lunch, or dinner in a local restaurant anyplace in town.

Come for a re-fit or repair? It is here or it cannot be done so a tradesman or craftsman will find a way to do it.

Want to see Belize, Mexico, Roatan, Panama, Columbia, Cuba? The Rio is a day to a few days away and the perfect home base to explore the entire region and know there is a safe, quite, storm proof, place to call home while you travel by boat or plane or car.

Need more? The OCC now has a Port Officer on the Rio ready to make this destination simple and easy. Contact me, Kelly, at:
semperfidelas@gmail.com
or through the Port Officer Page.

Kelly R Piercy - Rio Dulce, Guatemala, Port Officer
S/V Patience
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Kelly
Many thanks for the posting and it is good to know that the OCC now has a very active Port Officer in the Rio Dulce. It sounds a wonderful cruising destination yet cruisers have been put off for years by the perceived problem of entering over the bar. Now we have a local representative let 's hope that many more OCC members will visit.
very best wishes in your new post
John Franklin
Past Commodore
Kelly (Past OCC Member)
Kelly
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Ahh yes, the Bar at Livingston.

My Tartan TOCK draws 6 ' (~2m.) My neighbor 's Benatau draws 7 '. Neither of us have touched crossing the bar.

The datun shows 4 '. That is wrong. Tides run 1.8 ' at the Spring Tide. Neither boat should have been able to cross the bar in June or February respectively.

Add to that, if you do touch, it is silt for about 3 ' before any sort of real bottom is found and that is sand and clay.

Do, do not let the bar put you off. Come to the true heart of the Western Caribbean, hang out and we can all get together and do stuff.
Delphinus
Delphinus
Hi Kelly

It is great to know we now have a port officer in the Rio Dulce. We are currently heading there for hurricane season this year. We look forward to meeting you.

Best wishes
Jayne, Paul & Lily
SY Delphinus
Kelly (Past OCC Member)
Kelly
Welcome to the safest hurricane hole in the West Caribbean.

Please advise your arrival and arrangements you wish to make. There are many options if you are going to leave your boat for the season and many more if you plan on riding the season here.

If you have a sailmial account, that will be the best way to let me know you are on your way in and, with a day 's notice, I can meet your vessel in Livingston. Under no circumstances, leave your vessel unattended in Livingston. When you arrive, cross the bar and anchor off the town. The authorities will come alongside for the initial clearing in (no cost.) Once cleared, hail a launch from the dock (just wave or sound a signal horn.) Leave someone on board, and go ti Raul 's office and he will take care of your visa and boat papers. Bring all passports and vessel registration/documentation. It will take about an hour. Head up-river and across the lake.

The river is deep, but stay to the center of the channel and watch for kayukas and launchas. When you enter the Golfete, keep the the center of the lake. It is deep all the way except for some shoaling near the banks. Will send the waypoints in a floow-on message.

When you get to Raul 's Office, ask him to call me at:
4047 7774 if we have not already made contact.

Local contact is Ch 68 VHF.

As the season approaches, marinas are filling up. Give me details on your needs and I start shopping Marinas for you.
Kelly (Past OCC Member)
Kelly
Sorry, forgot this:

WDH7549@sailmail.com
semperfidelas@gmail.com
+502 4047 7774 (Guatemala Line)
001 706 410 4228 (US Line in Guatemala)
Delphinus
Delphinus
Hi Kelly

We will arrive on the highest tide in late May, I think around 25th? We are arriving with another OCC boat Aztec Dream. We are both already booked into a marina, we booked in January. I will email you more details shortly. Thank you so much for your information, I will pass this on toAztec Dream too.

Jayne
Kelly (Past OCC Member)
Kelly
Dolphin & Aztec Dream;

I will pull the waypoints for the bar, the run through the canyon, across The Golfets, and up the Rio and post them here and send them by email to your personal addresses in a day or two . I will also check local sources for tides.

I have arranged a 5% discount for OCC Members at Captain John 's Marina and as soon as I resolve issues with my dinghy outboard, I will make Tijax my first stop on expanding on that.
Delphinus
Delphinus
Thank you so much Kelly, did you receive the email I sent to your gmail? If you prefer you can copy Aztec Dream and us both into any emails relevant to us both.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Hi all,
The contrast with the RD of 15- 20 years ago when I sailed Central America and today 's descriptions could not be greater. It used to be like the wild west, enough so that someone should collect the old stories, especially if they can now be considered history. Is the whole region much safer now, such as local bus trips into the mountains and over to Honduras? That would be great as in many ways I considered the NW Carib as a cruising paradise with a tremendous history along the shore and inland.
Thanks for the reports, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search