SSB Radios

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On second thought, 6 amps should make for about 150 watts at 24v. D
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thanks both for you input and Dick thanks for your's off line. Interesting that there are previously repoorted failures of the Mic. I heard back today from Yacht.com who say they can no longer get replacement mics as the plug was more or less unique to that model and is obsolete. I think I need to be a bit more systematic in my fault finding next time I'm on the boat and see if I can check out the continuity of the various Mic connections and repair if required. I've got a meter for measuring aerial output too and, as Dick says, I need to check the ATU which I had actually forgotten all about! It would be great to get it working for N America and beyond! I will let you know how I get on.
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Hi Simon,
Mics (Hm 180) that are compatible for the 710 seem to be fairly easily available here in the US. Mics do break (actually, it is the wiring connections that usually give way: I always try to figure some sort of strain relief before the terminal connections, both to the transceiver and the mic), but with the amount of down time your unit has, I would still be betting on a corroded terminal or something similar.
Use google US for details on the Hm180 as the 710s are far less common in marine Europe. It will be the pin configuration that will be most important. ICOM is usually quite responsive to inquiries, so you might call them.
I know also people who are likely to have access to equipment. I could bring/leave a mic in Lewisporte and if we share an anchorage and we can do some trouble-shooting and some comm during the coming season.
And, yes, it would be great to get it working as SSB comm really solidifies the cruising community on this side of the pond and is far far more functionally useful than any maritime use of SSB in Northern Europe or the Med.
My best, Dick
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Dick
That just confirms the value of this Forum! A U.K. dealer says mics are no longer available but, as you say, they are all over eBay. And affordable too. I will get one ordered up and hope for the best. I’m now determined to get it working by hook or by crook.
Simon
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
I have ordered a replacement Mic from Hong Kong for £30 (ebay) so hoping it will work. I also came across a broken m-710 on eBay where the owner had replaced the Mic only to find that the output amplifier had failed but it's still worth the gamble.
Simon
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
I was introduced to a useful facility yesterday by Bob Smith of YachtCom for testing SSB sets. You need to have a Windows computer connected to the internet. It involves the use of SDR (software determined radio). There are dozens of SDR "listening" stations around the world which a user can tune to a particular frequency and mode from a laptop. You can select a station location, tune it to a suitable frequency, then tune your SSB to the same frequency and transmit a test message whilst at the same time listening to your transmission being received by the remote station on your laptop.

Procedure:
1. select www.sdr.hu and review the stations available. Each one will show the number of users allowed (usually 3 or 4) and the number currently using the station
2. select a station within the distance you expect to be able to transmit
3. in the panel on the right side of the screen, enter the frequency on which you want to transmit (example 6227.0 kHz) and select the mode (example USB)
4. Tune you SSB to the same transmit frequency and mode (example 6227.0, USB)
5. Transmit a test message on your SSB and listen for the message being received via the SDR station on your laptop.

Yesterday we tested Al Shaheen's SSB very successfully on 6 and 8 Mhz bands talking to SDR stations in Switzerland, Holland and Sweden and hearing good reception on the laptop.
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Our 15 year old Pactor III modem aboard Al Shaheen has died. Does anyone know of a repair facility in the UK, or have experience of repairing a Pactor modem?
Dick
Dick
Hi John,
Firstly, I would inspect/test all connections/terminals etc. to ensure that the modem is the bad apple, especially if the unit has been sitting unused for a while. They are really pretty bulletproof if in a dry place. It sounds like the transceiver is working well.
It is possible to get Pactor Modems repaired. Farallon Electronics does so in the US as they are the distributor for the German based manufacturer (as I understand things). So, it might even be easier to get repaired in your part of the world. Make sure they install all the updates/upgrades at the same time as I found them complicated on my own with the limited internet the boat often has.
Thanks for the heads up on the SSB testing procedures.
Let us know how this unfolds.
My best, Dick
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
I must be doing something wrong again! I tried the website [font=sans-serif]www.sdr.hu while the OCC's Caribbean net was running on 6227. I logged onto the node in Virginia (K1RA/KW4VAA) and then changed the frequency to 6227 and the band to USB using the panel on the right - but all I could hear was static. I was expecting to hear the net... What am I missing?[/font]
[font=sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=sans-serif](I could hear the net very well on the SSB...)[/font]
[font=sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=sans-serif]
[/font]

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Charles.Griffiths
Charles.Griffiths
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
[quote=Charles.Griffiths][quote=John Franklin]Our 15 year old Pactor III modem aboard Al Shaheen has died. Does anyone know of a repair facility in the UK, or have experience of repairing a Pactor modem?[/quote][/quote]

I will get the hang of this in a minute....Bob Smith - mail@yachtcom.co.uk - tel 44 1489 565100 is expert on this subject and guided me to my short wave cert.
Regards
Charles
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search