Dominican Republic Check In

Author
archive
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hugh Pilsworth (s/v BlueFlyer) reports:

Here we are in Salana, Dominican Republic.

An interesting channel coming in, not difficult and I found the Navionics very accurate. There is a Marina outside the town, but it is expensive, so I have taken a buoy for 2 nights at US$20 per night. The buoys are serviced regularly and have large concrete blocks on them.

On arrival Chico met us and is acting as our agent. If anyone 's going to visit here I can recommend him highly. His English is good, he works in Florida during the off season here.
Checking in is expensive and the preferred currency is US $ but the Peso is fine was well. They give 47 peso to the dollar. All the offices are local and the immigration officer came in specially for me on Saturday. The navy (Customs) came out to the boat to check us over and take the paperwork away for checking us out tomorrow so that we can leave at a reasonable time on Monday. The crew were not allowed off the boat until checked in with immigration.

The town is very pleasant, with little or office, so tourists are safe here. We went to a supermarket to stock up for Cuba, and then to a fruit and veggie market. All done on a TukTuk, not much room with 4 people and all the shopping. Prices are very reasonable.
Fuel is in Jerrycans unless you do as we did. We filled up with our own supplies and got our cans refilled, by Chico, at the service station. So fresh clean diesel.

We took a very reasonable tour, again thank to Chico, all day. Visited a 45 metre waterfall and another beautiful town. You can negotiate this with Chico.

In total, a very well worthwhile port to all to if you 're in the neighbourhood.

Hugh Pilsworth,
BlueFlyer.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search