Bocas del Toro

Author
rachelle.turk
I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)I'm into this (356 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Before arriving at this amazing place make sure you contact the IGY Marina, Red Frog Beach Marina. It is small, 85 berths now, due to double by end of September this year. The other reason is to get their recommended way points for entering the area. Despite what's shown on the charts there are no longer ANY navigation buoys. They were removed when this ceased being a commercial channel. The entry is simple and you could just go by the electronic charts if wished just mind your depths around the mangroves.
When you reach the Marina the staff are there to help. Note they monitor Channel 68, not 16. The present manager is DeeCee, a charming American from Texas. The local officials will come to the boat, inspect it and do any amount of paperwork, all the skipper does is date, sign and pay around $340 for a years entry and a cruising permit. You will get a receipt. If you don't have the cash DeeCee will lend it to you from his own pocket! The water is well water and excellent and there is 220 volt on the docks, American plugs needed. The island has a large solar power plant with 3 generators backing up at night. If you play your cards right you may bargain a dock fee discount, see DeeCee, who lives on his boat on the main walkway.
The nearest town is Bocas del Toro and it is a 15 minute high speed boat ride away. The Marina has 2 free trips a day to town and back.
The shopping for provisions is good and no security problems. There is one bank with 2 ATMs when they work.
The island is a resort area with villas and condos for rent, or purchase. It is a stunning island, Bastementos, meaning land of plenty as named by Mr Columbus apparently. There are several restaurants and bars on the privately owned island, with free transport on request. All are a reasonable cost too. Credit cards are welcome.
There are several miles of golden beaches, excellent surfing and miles of hiking when the unpaved roads end. Plenty of nature to look for too.
The sail to Colon takes about 20 hours. I can recommend this Marina to anyone in the area as not to be missed!

Hugh Pilsworth,
BlueFlyer.
edited by rachelle.turk on 5/31/2017
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search