North Sea passage planning

Author
Barbara.Johnston
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We are new members, Americans, sailing the Baltic this summer. We have to be out of the Schengen zone by August 20, and have plans to put Sequoia up for the winter in Portsmouth. What kind of weather can we expect for a crossing from Denmark to UK in mid/late August? Suggested routes? I see that many people choose the Netherlands canal route for returning to UK, but that is not practical for us because the Netherlands is still in the Schengen zone. Worse comes to worst, we'll find a place to lay the boat up near Gothenburg for the winter, but that would not be our first choice. Craig & Barbara Johnston, S/V Sequoia out of Portland, Oregon, USA, new OCC members as of June, 2017
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We have made this crossing several times in August with no drama so, apart from choosing a good weather window, I have no particular advice. We have generally crossed to Scotland and hav particularly enjoyed sailing through Denmark's Lymfjord.

Ipswich is quite a common UK destination for OCC boats but I'm not sure why. There are plenty of boat storage facilities on the island of Orust just north of Gothenburg.

One option might be to sail to Inverness and transit the Caledonian Canal to enjoy the west coast.
Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search