OCC Caribbean Radio Net 2017

Author
rachelle.turk
I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)I'm into this (368 reputation)
Group: Administrators
The OCC Caribbean radio net will be in operation once more this winter from 1st December to April or longer as circumstances dictate.
The net will be overseen and coordinated by our Caribbean Roving Rear Commodores (Simon & Hilda Julien) aboard BRISA who will themselves be setting out to cruise from Antigua in the middle of December. As in the past few years it is anticipated that net controller tasks will be shared amongst a small core of operators. This sharing of the hosting load amongst often well dispersed boats proved very useful in times of poor propagation as often experienced last season.
Last year some 75 or more boats called in at various times and we were also able to keep in touch with another group of some 15 boats some without SSB. As a result, members arranged numerous impromptu and informal social gatherings of members in many locations between the Virgin Isles & the Grenadines at events ranging from meals ashore, beach bbqs/potlucks, cricket matches to sundowners both aboard and ashore. Additionally, the net has proved a good means of sharing up to date information on ports and facilities as well as helping with a wide range of problems especially where a little local knowledge has been useful.
This is not a HAM net so anyone with a SSB radio is very welcome to join in.
The net starts at 0730 local time (1130 GMT) on most days – usually Monday to Saturday – on 6227kHz USB. This timing usually allows time to listen to the Caribbean Weather Service broadcast immediately before. It is hoped that those crossing to the Caribbean will check in once within range.
SIMON JULIEN
edited by rachelle.turk on 9/5/2017
Peter.Basilides
Peter.Basilides
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

The net starts at 0730 local time (1130 GMT) on most days – usually Monday to Saturday – on 6227kHz USB. This timing usually allows time to listen to the Caribbean Weather Service broadcast immediately before. It is hoped that those crossing to the Caribbean will check in once within range. SIMON JULIEN edited by rachelle.turk on 9/5/2017.  Is the net still/again operational?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search