Safety Notice about Hooks on Tethers

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
The sailing yacht CV30 was taking part in the third leg of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race having
left Cape Town on 31 October 2017 bound for Fremantle, Western Australia.

At about 1414 local time on 18 November 2017, the yacht was in position 42°30.3’S, 087°36.3’E,
approximately 1500nm from Fremantle, when a crew member, Simon Speirs, fell overboard. He was
attached to the yacht by his safety harness tether. The hook at the end of the tether that was clipped to a
jack-line, deformed and released resulting in him becoming separated from the yacht. Simon Speirs was
recovered unconscious onto the yacht but sadly could not be resuscitated.

Read initial findings here:

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/safety-warning-on-the-use-of-safety-harness-tethers-on-sailing-yachts

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
There have been updates and a full report on the accident. Scuttlebutt featured commentary by Darrell Nicholson after he did a significant investigation into the Marine Accident Investigation Branch report

Practical Sailor did an analysis of Safety Tethers earlier this year. It is worth reading. 

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search