New website ability to post a short report

Author
Tony Brighton
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Administrators
With the latest release of the website, we've added a new feature to allow a member to post a short cruising report about a specific location.

Login to the members' side of the website. From the menu 'hamburger' go to My Details - Submit Cruising Info. You can add a place name, a yacht name and some text. If you then scroll down you'll see a map - zoom in, pan and scan and click on the location you want to drop a pin on. This is a moderated post and once approved will show up on the new Cruising Resources public side map - so its probably best to keep it clean and factual!

We're having some discussion about adding the ability for a photo to be uploaded (risk of viruses/inappropriateness vs. visual feedback) - we'd be interested to hear members' thoughts on whether this feature would be useful.

Tony B
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
I have attached an illustrated PDF giving a step by step account of how to post cruising information to the new Cruising Information Site. Any problems just let us know. [quote=Tony Brighton]With the latest release of the website, we've added a new feature to allow a member to post a short cruising report about a specific location.

Login to the members' side of the website. From the menu 'hamburger' go to My Details - Submit Cruising Info. You can add a place name, a yacht name and some text. If you then scroll down you'll see a map - zoom in, pan and scan and click on the location you want to drop a pin on. This is a moderated post and once approved will show up on the new Cruising Resources public side map - so its probably best to keep it clean and factual!

We're having some discussion about adding the ability for a photo to be uploaded (risk of viruses/inappropriateness vs. visual feedback) - we'd be interested to hear members' thoughts on whether this feature would be useful.

Tony B[/quote]
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've just had a try at using this, and found it very easy. I'm glad that we've got back to being able to see all the positions on a map, as we used to be able to do, and that previously submitted reports are showing up on the new map. It would be useful to add an image of some kind, to be able to put in an illustration of a recommended track through hazards, for example.
edited by David Tyler on 3/2/2018
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
David,
We did ask the developer for an image functionality to be added. This was declined for fear that malicious files could be uploaded. I am sure that risk can be mitigated and it remains on our development list. don't got get though that Forum posts to the Cruising Information part of the Forum can contain images and these will also be geo-referenced to the same map. So there is a workaround for the time being. The security issue doesn't arise on the Forum because it sits on a different server.
Simon
John Morfit
John Morfit
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon,

I've been exploring the site - congratulations, it has a nice look and feel.

While exploring the Cruising Resources Map, I noticed that if I expand a particular topic via the Read Item link, I lose my map position and zoom.
I think that the back button should take you back to the map, maintaining the zoom level and position. Alternatively, the item being expanded could open in a new tab, leaving the map as-is. I hope this helps.

Regards,
John M.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
John,
Thanks for the feedback which I will share that with the developer.

In the meantime there is a work around if you use the zoom functions within the map (the + and - buttons) as these will just zoom the map rather than the whole page. I agree zooming the whole page is disorientating.

Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search