Which anti foul for N Atlantic & Caribbean?

Author
richard.farrington
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We are just over a year into a two year circuit of the North Atlantic. I’ve used Seajet Shogun (ablative) in the past, but I think we have worn it away quite fast this year with a combination of time underway and some snorkel-assisted scrubbing! Furthermore, I cant find it on the shelves in North America.
I don’t want to go down the Copppercoat route as it will take a huge chunk of time out of the schedule to prepare and apply, and quite a chunk of my bank account... particularly if we don’t keep the boat long enough to recoup that outlay.
I used to race a lot and used Hard antifouling with some success, provided I was prepared to dive on the boat regularly.We are now thinking of returning to that formula and are wondering about anyone’s experiences of Interlux UltraKote versus Pettit’s Trinidad SR. Or is there something else I should be considering? I plan to apply it in Maine in late August.
What do the current generation of OCC sailors recommend?
I have heard that the Journeys End Marina at Rockland will allow me to apply the paint myself. Can anyone confirm that or recommend another yard?
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Richard it’s probably not what you want to hear but we have been very happy with coppercoat which we applied 5 years ago. For three years we did not haul out at all so it easily paid for itself in eliminating the need for annual lifts and scrub. The boat is now in Canada and we have just arranged to ship some cans out there to refresh the bits that have been abraded by ice and other norther nasties.
Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search