Blind sailor. Non-stop from San Diego to Japan.

Author
Doug.Smith
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Skipper Doug Smith and his good friend Hiro Iwamoto are scheduled to sail across the Pacific non-stop from San Diego to Fukushima Japan with a departure date scheduled for February 24th in "Dream Weaver" a 41 foot Island Packet slipped in 210. The interesting component here is that Doug is the novice sailor and Hiro is the experienced skipper but one who happens to be completely blind. This is not Hiro's first rodeo.
Back in 2013 he and another crewmate sailed out of Japan-bound for San Diego, California. Unfortunately, six days into the voyage their 6-ton yacht was taking on water in really rough seas due to both an unexpected typhoon and unscheduled tussle with a whale! 700 nautical miles from land, after radioing in an SOS the two crewmen were forced to abandon ship into their dinghy where they endured 15 foot waves and 30 knot winds. Sea conditions were so fierce amphibious aircraft were unable to rescue them for eleven hours. Despite this experience, Hiro remains determined to inspire others to overcome adversity and work to achieve their dreams.
Doug, who resided in Japan and thus the connection between the two, feels strongly about the power of the organizations the team is supporting to make a real difference in the world. Not surprisingly, the charities they support involve helping those with curable blindness. For more details on how you can contribute, visit their web site https://voyageofinspiration.com/. And on Saturday, January 19th from 4-5 p.m. the Voyage of Inspiration team will be meeting supporters and fellow sailors at the slip 210 to offer details about their voyage followed by appetizers and drinks at the Boat house Restaurant.[color=rgb(61, 56, 70)][font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
" But, I will challenge again with my friend, Doug. We undertake this voyage not only for personal accomplishment, but to send a message that anything is possible when people come together. In this case, a blind (but experienced) sailor and a novice (but sighted) sailor, will each compensate for the other's weaknesses to complete a non­stop trip across the Pacific that is expected to take 60 days. This Voyage of Inspiration is about taking action and making a difference, the same theme connecting the causes we wish to support including preventable and curable blindness." Hiro Iwamoto
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Wow! Best of luck!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Doug, I'd like to support you by preparing an official OCC press release about your upcoming effort. We have an extensive global network of media on our list and I know there would be great interest in your voyage. Are you okay with this and can we plan on releasing the news during the first week of January?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search