Southern New England

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The attached spreadsheet shows recommended anchorages in Southern New England. This data was presented to the 2015 & 16 OCC Southern New England Cruise participants but you may find it of use.
These are personal observations - you may not like my taste!!!
edited by bbalme on 1/1/2019

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Newport, RI is considering new very restrictive anchoring rules - see this letter from member Paul Preston:

https://www.newportthisweek.com/news/2019-01-17/Opinion/Stay_Aboard.html

Give one of these folk a call and register your concerns:
Mayor Jamir Bova -Email: jbova@cityofnewport.com Office: (1) 401-845-5436
Council Angela McCalla -Email: amccalla@cityofnewport.com Office: (1) 401-845-5497
Council Lynn Underwood Ceglie -Email: lceglie@cityofnewport.com Office: (1) 401-845-5498
Council Kathryn Leonard -Email: KateLeonard@aol.com Office: (1) 401-845-5495
Council Jeanne-Marie Napolitano -Email: jnapolitano@cityofnewport.com Office: (1) 401-845-5499
Council Justin McLaughlin -Email: jmclaughlin@cityofnewport.com Office: (1) 401-845-5493
Vice Chair Susan Taylor -Email: staylor@cityofnewport.com Office: (1)401-845-549412.
Newport City Hall: (1) 401-845-5497

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)
Hi Bill,
Can you be more specific (or ask for more from Paul)?
It has been a while since I sailed those waters, but I always experienced Newport as having very restrictive anchoring possibilities: basically, just off Ida Lewis YC. This occurred mostly as the mooring field filling up all the free area. Before that happened, anchoring spots were easier to find on the outside of the mooring field. At least that is my memory.
Newport is certainly an icon of sailing, but since the America’s Cup boats moved out, I found little to offer cruisers and that it was impressively expensive and touristy.
Perhaps that has changed?
If you do want to visit, find a mooring/slip over in Jamestown and take the small “ferry” across. It used to be free if memory serves.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Dick,
Nothing much to add really - they're considering restricting boats at anchor to always have someone aboard which in the case of short handed crews would be ridiculously restrictive. Decision to be made in March as I understand it.
Can't share your opinion of Newport as a destination - it has always been and so far remains one of my most favorite - top 5 - anchorages, with lots going on, things to do, boats to watch, decent holding, little swell... It's a tourist town for sure but then, so are so many harbours around the world... Jamestown is an option but not nearly as nice an anchorage (in my opinion).
Bill
edited by bbalme on 1/24/2019

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)
Hi Bill,
I am glad to hear more positive reports about Newport. As I said, it has been a lot of years since I cruised those parts, almost 2 decades now, and it does sound like things have changed, especially if there are more anchoring spots than just off Ida Lewis. And the town may also have shifted since the period just after the America’s Cup days when it was trying to re-invent itself. I am glad to hear that it is a favorite.
As for the rule proposal: it was always so crowded that I can imagine boats anchoring in (small) holes among the moorings in the morning when there is no wind and then the afternoon breeze builds causing boats to lie differently and start their own version of bumper cars. That would definitely lead to a rule of no anchored boats being unattended, I suspect.
My best, Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search