Anchoring on a rocky seabed

Author
Philip Heaton
Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)Gaining Respect (154 reputation)
Group: Moderators
We have done anchoring in places like the Tuamotus where it is extremely hard to avoid bommies and coral, and we hated doing any damage and always tried to drop in sand. We did the toing and froing to unwind the chain successfully each time.
We are now in the Med and have been in the Balearics and currently Corsica.  When in Ibiza we anchored off a sandy beach - the cruising guide warned of rock in the middle. Having dropped in sand we fell back to dig in and got the chain in the midst if some rock.  Thinking it was better to re-anchor straight away, we had the devil if a job freeing the chain and I thought I may have to dive on it - not a pleasant prospect as the sea was full of jelly fish.  Anyway we eventually got recovered the chain and anchor. 
We no longer anchor in any place where the cruising guide says rocky seabed.
The irony us that we carried an enormous Fisherman anchor around the world just in case ... and gave it away to friends who were heading for the Pacific. 
Our main anchor is a Manson Supreme and we also have a Delta and a Fortress.  Should I try to get my Fisherman anchor back or simply carry on staying away from rocky bottoms?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
PhilipH2 - 19 Jun 2019
bbalme - 19 Jun 2019
PhilipH2 - 19 Jun 2019
PhilipH2 - 19 Jun 2019
bbalme - 19 Jun 2019
PhilipH2 - 19 Jun 2019
Dick - 21 Jun 2019
Gavin.French - 2 Nov 2019
                         Hi Gavin, Thanks for the field report: always the best. Please see the...
Dick - 2 Nov 2019
                             Hi all, The following describes an alternative to a tripline and...
Dick - 2 Nov 2019
                                 Our experience matches Dick's about some careful and creative...
PhilipH2 - 2 Nov 2019
                                     My first foray into a forum. Just found all this in my junkmail:)...
Gavin.French - 6 Nov 2019
                                         Hi Gavin, Firstly, welcome to the Forum. Secondly, I would no worry...
Dick - 7 Nov 2019
Gavin.French - 14 Nov 2019
Dick - 14 Nov 2019
PhilipH2 - 15 Nov 2019

Login

Search