Leisure Furl

Author
Gino Del Guercio
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I’m considering buying a LeisureFurl system for our Brewer 44. Any advice?
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Gino Del Guercio - 6/19/2019

Hi Gino,
I am generally not a fan of boom or mast furling gear for offshore boats. They generally take a great deal of discipline and attention on the part of their crew in offshore use and the in-attentive moment can lead to serious problems quickly: the kind not easily remedied at sea. It is hard to be disciplined and attentive in the occasional fire drill that arises every now and again at sea.
My casual observation is that the high-end custom boats generally choose in boom furling as opposed to in mast furling. This makes sense as there are clearly a handful of down sides to in-mast furling when compared to in-boom furling. It is also my sense that in-boom furling is more forgiving and less likely to leave you unable to douse your sail. That said, years ago there were sailmaker issues with the Leisure Furl system and chafe issues which have likely been worked out by now.
Let us know more about your research.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

navegante1105
navegante1105
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)

Hi, good afternoon: I have just installed mine( leisure furling); my boat is an Oceanis 40. I have not tested yet due to a propeller gearbox failure, that I am stiill waiting to be fixed. But, I hope, in no more than fifteen days, to have it fixed and check my new system. If You give me your email address, I shall send You pictures of the leisure furl boom installed.

Cheers, Agustín, OCC POR Gran Canaria.
Gino Del Guercio
Gino Del Guercio
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Thanks. Ginodelg(at)mac.com
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dick
In-mast furling works for us. We expended a lot of nervous energy before committing to it 13 years ago but have few regrets. We have encountered no serious disadvantages and have really appreciated the ease of use and convenience. Just one minor episode of user error in week on which was easily remedied.

I know that the above statement approaches heresy but our experience has been favourable.

Simon

Gino Del Guercio
Gino Del Guercio
Thanks Simon. What is your boat and where have you taken it?
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Gino
Our boat is a 14.5m cutter. In this boat we have cruised in Norway, the Baltic, Scotland, Greenland (72N) and the Canadian Maritimes (where we are at present). Heading south and west now.
Simon

Gino Del Guercio - 6/24/2019
Thanks Simon. What is your boat and where have you taken it?

Gino Del Guercio
Gino Del Guercio
Thanks Simon. Sounds very similar to our boat. We’ll be in Rhode Island most of the summer. Look us up if you’re in the area.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Simon Currin - 6/24/2019
DickIn-mast furling works for us. We expended a lot of nervous energy before committing to it 13 years ago but have few regrets. We have encountered no serious disadvantages and have really appreciated the ease of use and convenience. Just one minor episode of user error in week on which was easily remedied.I know that the above statement approaches heresy but our experience has been favourable. Simon

Hi Simon,
Right and it works for many. But my observation is that in-mast is comparatively unforgiving of in-attentiveness and a lack of discipline in its use, especially when it comes to responding to the occasional fire drill. And the down side of this inattentiveness can be very serious for an offshore boat: quite a bit less so for coastal cruising. I suspect you and Sally are among those who are attentive and disciplined in its use and train crew to be like-wise. There is no question that in-mast furling can be made to work, as you have amply demonstrated.
My best, Dick
navegante1105
navegante1105
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search