Speed Transducers

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)Forum Expert (607 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We have a tradition paddlewheel speed transducer which has become increasingly unreliable in recent years- it is 13 years old. For much of the time now it registers ‘0’.

I am looking to replacing it with an ultrasound sensor such as the one made by Airmar. Does anyone have any experience of these?
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)Forum Expert (894 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon Currin - 6/24/2019
We have a tradition paddlewheel speed transducer which has become increasingly unreliable in recent years- it is 13 years old. For much of the time now it registers ‘0’.I am looking to replacing it with an ultrasound sensor such as the one made by Airmar. Does anyone have any experience of these?Simon

Hi Simon,
I am no expert, but I believe that Airmar is the go-to brand in this area. I have used Airmar transducers and paddlewheels for decades and been quite happy. They crap out occasionally, but rarely. I also think that many of the "packages" from the big name instrument makers use (or re-brand) Airmar gear in their packages.
Let us know if that fits with your researches.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I had an Airmar ultrasonic log the whole of our circumnavigation. The advantage of ultrasound is that it doesn't need to be raised and cleaned all the time - is maintenance free. You often learn that the  paddle wheel needs cleaning when you most need to know your speed - particularly if you have been stationary for a week or so.   The disadvantage of ultrasound is that it is very sensitive - it measures the speed of the boat as it hunts on its anchor -  even a light cross current. 0.1-0.2 knots.  If you spend a week at anchor you can easily find the boat has measured a 50-100 mile passage. Switching the depth sounder instrument display off may stop the system logging the distance - or not - depending on how it is set up.

Eventually, I gave up and fitted an Airmar paddle wheel. However, 4 years on and I am thinking of returning to the ultrasound because i am fed up with cleaning the crud off!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search