Calor Butane Cylinders

Author
russell.hall
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear Members,
Does anyone know anywhere at or near La Rochelle where I can get my British Calor Cylinders refilled?
Thank you,
Russell
Hasbun
Hasbun
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
We never found anywhere in France that would refill foreign bottles. In fact, it appears that refilling non-national bottles is now forbidden by European rules; this may explain why it is not commonly done in France.  With some work, we found the rare individual that does refill a foreign bottle in Portugal and in Spain. From friends, we learned there are a handful of places in Italy that will do it as well, though we never did ourselves.

In La Rochelle, Sofomarin sold us a brilliant kit, made in the UK, that allows about 15 different types of national bottles to be connected to a single universal fitting, via adapters. The owner speaks English.

If you buy his adapter, in France, I recommend the Butagaz “Le Cube” bottle, made of fiberglass and soft rubber. Works wonderfully in a sailboat, provided it fits in your gas locker.  Available all over France, including in Corsica, it can be had in a blue label butane or red label propane version. We used it with butane in the Med but exchanged it for free for a propane version before sailing for Scotland, as propane is better under lower temperatures.

Map to Sofomarin:
https://her.is/2J22Dzh

Sofomarin:
52 Rue de la Trinquette, 17000 La Rochelle, Francia

http://www.sofomarin.com

russell.hall
russell.hall
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Hasbun - 7/1/2019
We never found anywhere in France that would refill foreign bottles. In fact, it appears to that refilling non-national bottles is now forbidden by European rules; this may explain why it is not commonly done in France.  With some work, we found the rare individual that does refill a foreign bottle in Portugal and in Spain. From friends, we learned there are a handful of places in Italy that will do it as well, though we never did ourselves.

In La Rochelle, Sofomarin sold us a brilliant kit, made in the UK, that allows about 15 different types of national bottles to be connected to a single universal fitting, via adapters. The owner speaks French.

If you buy his adapter, in France, I recommend the Butagaz “Le Cube” bottle, made of fiberglass and soft rubber. Works wonderfully in a sailboat, provided it fits in your gas locker.  Available all over France, including in Corsica, it can be had in a blue label butane or red label propane version. We used it with butane in the Med but exchanged it for free for a propane version before sailing for Scotland, as propane is better under lower temperatures.

Map to Sofomarin:
https://her.is/2J22Dzh

Sofomarin:
52 Rue de la Trinquette, 17000 La Rochelle, Francia

http://www.sofomarin.com

Thank you for your helpful and thorough reply. I will pop into Sofomarin later on.

Russell

bwallace
bwallace
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Hi, Have you considered filling your own bottles by gravity from a local bottle. I seem to recall there have been various articles on this forum over the years.
We have been filling our own for years, We get a local bottle, and keep a range of adaptors.

It is also more economical than getting your own bottle filled.

Good Luck

Brian
S/V Darramy in the Peloponnisos
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Brian, how full do you manage to get the bottle?
I've been filling my 20# (c 9Kg) US bottles from a 6kg UK bottle. I was hoping to be able to fill both US tanks with 3 charges from the UK one - but about the most I can get into the US tank is around half full. Is that your experience too? I typically hang the UK bottle about 3 or 4 feet above the US one - seems to help a bit.

Interesting tidbit - the standard UK thread is the same as the INTERNAL thread of the US bottle - so I can actually use the UK bottles direct on Toodle-oo!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

bwallace
bwallace
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Hi Bill,
I manage about 85% full, but to achieve that, you need to vent the bottle. On some bottles is a small screw by the valve area, if you turn off the supply, ie close off the valve on each bottle then open the screw, it will, let out gas as a vapour, and thus release the pressure in the bottle. You may have to repeat several times.
If there is no vent on the bottle then it is more fun and smoking during this next process could result in an insurance claim!
Close off the valve on the supply bottle then back off the connecting thread on your calor bottle a couple of turns. First you will get the remaining liquid gas out of the supply pipe, then you should start to get gas as a vapour coming out of the bottle you are filling having remembered to keep the valve on that bottle open. If nothing comes out play about with the threaded connector maybe another undoing turn. If that fails disconnect then open valve. Let the gas vapour flow for about a minute, close the valve, then retiighten the connector about 90% open the valve on the supply bottle again so liquid gas flows again when you see liquid gas emerging from the connector on the bottle being refilled tighten up the connector fully. In this way you are only putting gas in the bottle and not air from the pipe.

I am using composite bottles so the liquid gas level is easy to see. If not do it by weight empty bottle weight +gas. I used to use a spring type of scale, but came across a digital luggage scale which is easier to use and knowing how you seem to like gadgets Bill, obviously a toy for you!

I assume the connector you mentioned is the newer calor one which is used on The Green calor bottles sold for BBQ and patio heaters in the U.K. I don’t believe the conventional Calor bottle connector will fit
Hope this helps,

Sail safe

Brian and Sue enjoying the Peloponnisos
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search