NAVTEX vs GRIB files in Europe

Author
Maxwell Fletcher
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I plan to head across the pond and cruise in Northern Europe and will have capability to get GRIB files via SSB. Should I also install a NAVTEX receiver, or would that be an unnecessary duplication? Thanks for any thoughts on this issue, Max
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Max, no I don 't think it is duplication as Navtex broadcasts forecasts put together by forecasters. Gribs are great but I think become less reliable close to land due to shore effects that can 't be computed from grib data. Navtex range is limited to around 500 miles so is useless for your crossing and, indeed, there are parts of Europe where costal Navtex coverage is poor - it 's a long time since we have cruised Portugal so this observation may be out of date! Navtex also broadcasts huge amounts of safety of other navigation and safety information most of which can be filtered out if not needed.
Paul Heiney
Paul Heiney
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
I think Navtex is extremely useful in northern Europe, and far less fiddly than having to hook up an SSB. It 's quite cheap as well. Go for it.
Blueprintbill
Blueprintbill
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Have a Furuno weatherfax / navtex on board and found it extremely helpful in northern Europe sorting out weather forecasts, (submarine exercises !) etc. which are not available with the regularity we have here.
Bill R.
pmtravis
pmtravis
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Been in northwestern Europe for 10 summers and I use both NAVTEX & GRIBs. Simon Currin 's advice is excellent. GRIBs are raw computer models and NAVTEX forecasts are done by meteorologists. Consider a dual channel receiver; 518kHz is worldwide, in English; 490kHz is local areas, in local languages. If your SSB receives these frequencies you can use your computer as the NAVTEX receiver (but computer is much more power hungry than a NAVTEX receiver. I have a dedicated unit, a Furuno NX-300 (single channel), non printing - it stores 84 messages at a time, so printing seems unnecessary. Also, NAVTEX broadcasts navigational warnings, SAR, naval exercise info, etc.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Has anyone used the NASA PC NAVTEX USB? It has dual channel, and receives and stores data that can be downloaded when plugged into a PC. Would a dedicated Navtex unit have advantages? They are at least twice as expensive.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Allan Riches
Allan Riches
Juanona 's original message stated they have the ability to get GRIB files via SSB. Presumably this means a Pactor controller to link with either the HAM WinLink or not-for-profit SailMail Association services.

A Pactor controller can also decode NAVTEX and display it on the linked PC/Notebook.

In addition to the NAVTEX and GRIB charts, A Pactor controller/SSB radio combination will also give access to METAREA forecasts and lots of local coastal forecasts via either SailMail or Winlink; for no additional charge or download time/quantity cost.

There is a fundamental difference in the way satellite based email/data systems and HF/SSB radio email services (SailMail and Winlink) are funded and therefore the driving motivation on the service providers.

For example, the not-for-profit SailMail Association (for non-HAMs) has a fixed annual memberhship fee of US$250 per annum for 12 minutes connection time per day, averaged over 10 days. To maximise membership without increasing membership costs (ie: establish and operate more base stations), the system needs to operate efficiently and reliably, so SailMail can have as many connections per day as possible without spending to install more base stations. There is a fundamental economic pressure to be efficient, quick and not drop connections that would require the same message - or part of the same message - to be resent multiple times.

Satellite based systems are the exact opposite. The operators benefit financially when the service is slow and/or has numerous dropped connections which require the same data to be send multiple times. Increasing connection time and data traffic equals more money for the operators via the monthly user account fees or service contract renewal.

Satellite comms for voice and/or data seems to have an attractive off-the-shelf solution for a small entry cost, but there is a substantial, long term, connection-time cost, with endless monthly bills. And it lacks the essential feature of HF/SSB radio coms - simultaneously broadcast requests, information or advice to any other yachts with a similar radio without needing to know their phone number.

HF/SSB radio email may have a higher entry cost than a simple satphone - radio, Pactor controller etc - but then voice communication with other yachts and coast stations is FOC. GRIB files, METAREA forecasts, local coastal forecasts, NAVTEX etc are also no additional cost, for the information or for the data transfer. With membership of the not-for-profit SailMail Association, the US$250 per annum membership fee for SailMail is less than 1 x US$ a day; an impossible figure to achieve transferring the same weather data, emails etc via satellite.

Regards

Allan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search