On visiting the Lysefjord

Author
Hasbun
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It is possible to ascend the Preikestolen more or less as people did in 1880, when in began as a tourist destination: by sea. A dock where the trail begins, which we read had been out of use, has been restored and now looks like new. It sits about 0.8 nautical miles W of where "Preikestolen" is marked on the N shore of the Lysefjord on the official Norwegian maritime charts. Alas!, when one approaches this dock, a warning sign says “embarking/disermbarking only,” so apparently it is not possible to leave the boat tied up to it, unless, perhaps, competent and sufficient crew is left aboard to move the boat if needed. Note that a traditional ascent from sea level adds a couple of hundred meters or more of ascent and, according to the sign at the dock, 3.5 kilometers (e.a. way) to the hike. We rather rented a car in Stavanger and did the hike the modern way.

It is also possible to ascend “the longest wooden staircase in the world”, at Flørli, on the S side of the fjord. The mooring buoys are designed for small boats to tie a line to shore and one to a buoy, but a larger boat could tie two buoys amidships, and a line to shore. We saw at least one sailboat doing this. We did not, and are not sure what the Norwegians may have to say about such hogging of resources! A hiking trail communicates Flørli with the Kjeragbolten, and ultimately with Lysebotn.

At the Lysebotn, there is a marina which affords complete quiet and peace; it is free to use. There are pay-toilets (pay with credit card). These appeared to be non-functional in August 2019. There is a very large trash depot immediately next to the toilets. Water and electricity (standard EU 16 amp connector) are provided free of charge. The dock fingers are sized for boats about 30ft long and about 4m wide and we saw cruising sailboats successfully fitting inside.

The sole exceptions for larger boats are the outside of the southernmost finger on the W dock and the hammerhead on the central dock. These two positions however, have a problem for keel boats: dock anchor cables protrude at nearly right angles, at an initial depth of only about 1.4m (estimate). The cables, nonetheless, quickly slope downwards. We used the hammerhead for our 16m long, 4.57m beam, 2.2m draught sailboat, by first, just tying the front of the boat to the S finger of the hammerhead, and then _walking_ the sailboat forward, in case the keel might hit the cables. It never did; it is possible our beam plus the cable slope resulted in our 2.2m clearing. Or maybe we did not move the boat forward enough: we left 1m of the aft protruding from the finger. So beware!

One can also tie up to the town wall immediately outside the marina, including the inside of the ferry dock (ferry goes outside) and the S pier, next to the heliport, is also for visitors. Anyone mooring in any of these need to carefully prepare fenders, as the ferries induce large wakes that make the boat oscillate beam wise against the dock. No water nor electricity provided.

From the Lysebotn there are several mild walks in the valley, published on a brochure available in the information office in front of the town wall. One can also walk up to Kjerag (7.5km, 680m ascent) and from Kjerag take the “difficult” ~3 hr walk (e.a. way) to the Kjeragbolt. If you walk up to Kjerag, carry proper lighting to avoid being hit by a car in the 1.1km tunnel. The nice cafeteria with restaurant prices at Kjerag features spectacular views.

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thank you for your excellent post on Lysefjord it would be great if you could supply a lat/long so that I can georeference it to the OCC ‘s Cruising Information Map.
Simon
Hasbun
Hasbun
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Hello Simon, please provide a link to the Cruising Information Map.  I am not aware of it.  Preikestolen dock: 58° 58.145' N, 6° 9.441' E.  Flørli moorings: 59° 0.903' N, 6° 25.674' E.  Lysebotn marina 59° 3.343' N, 6° 38.667' E.  Lysebotn visitor pier 59° 3.238' N, 6° 38.685' E.  The Lysebotn town wall/mooring is located between the marina and the visitor pier.  Cheers,
Hasbun
Hasbun
One MAJOR correction: the dock fingers at the Lysebotn marina are sized for boats about 30 FEET long, not 30 meters long, which is an error.  I can't seem to be able to edit the original post, and if someone could, I would appreciate it.  Many thanks, 
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Odette,

I will georeference when I have my laptop. The link to the Cruising Information Map is https://oceancruisingclub.org/Cruising-Info-Map which plots articles from this Forum, Cruising Notices and Flying Fish articles.

Bill will have to edit your post as I don’t have editing rights.

Simon
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Odette,
Cruising data specific to a lat /long is best posted as a Cruising Notice as that will be depicted as a pin on the Cruising Information Map. A more general report is best posted on the Forum as that is georeferenced to an area. A while ago I made a series of brief videos to show folk how to post a Cruising Notice etc. Please see this link: https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic4971.aspx
Simon

Hasbun - 8/4/2019
Hello Simon, please provide a link to the Cruising Information Map.  I am not aware of it.  Preikestolen dock: 58° 58.145' N, 6° 9.441' E.  Flørli moorings: 59° 0.903' N, 6° 25.674' E.  Lysebotn marina 59° 3.343' N, 6° 38.667' E.  Lysebotn visitor pier 59° 3.238' N, 6° 38.685' E.  The Lysebotn town wall/mooring is located between the marina and the visitor pier.  Cheers,

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search